Author Topic: Double Checking A Polaris Rectification  (Read 14384 times)

Offline Sue

Re: Double Checking A Polaris Rectification
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Thanks Ray

Hope that worked for you Halina

Sue  :)

Offline Halina

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Thanks Sue & Ray, Your method worked Sue, and your site helped Ray.  Only one drawback, my Windows 7 was the Home Edition and I had to buy and upgrade to Windows 7 Professional Edition or Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before Windows 7 would accept Sue's Windows XP Mode.  So I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and downloaded Ray's Windows XP Mode(Free) and Windows Virtual PC(Free) and some updates.  However not being computer saavy, I had a tech guy join everything up.  So it's working now and the tech guy explained how to do it myself nexttime I get another old program with 32 bit.
    I'm really not sure of the purpose of Windows Virtual PC.  Maybe somebody could explain what it does.
I wouldn't have spent the extra coin, but I'm obsessed with midpoints and they explain astrology more to me than any other system.

Offline Ray Murphy

• Nukkin.com.au
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 05:01:06 AM »
Thanks Sue & Ray, Your method worked Sue, and your site helped Ray.  Only one drawback, my Windows 7 was the Home Edition and I had to buy and upgrade to Windows 7 Professional Edition or Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before Windows 7 would accept Sue's Windows XP Mode.  So I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and downloaded Ray's Windows XP Mode(Free) and Windows Virtual PC(Free) and some updates.  However not being computer saavy, I had a tech guy join everything up.  So it's working now and the tech guy explained how to do it myself nexttime I get another old program with 32 bit.
    I'm really not sure of the purpose of Windows Virtual PC.  Maybe somebody could explain what it does.
I wouldn't have spent the extra coin, but I'm obsessed with midpoints and they explain astrology more to me than any other system.

The best way to describe it is to tell you where it all started. As you know, Macintosh computers could not handle Windows PC programs because it used an entirely different operating system, so someone wrote some Mac software called "Virtual PC" which allotted some space in one corner of the Mac hard drive for the Windows operating system to be installed - so whenever a Windows program needed to be run, the user switched to Virtual PC. This made the Mac run slower because 2 systems were operating simultaneously. It was excruciatingly slow with early Mac speeds of 8 Mhz and 16 Mhz, but later when computers got faster - like 300Mhz and 1000 Mhz, the speed loss was no problem - so Mac users could then run any Windows program that could be run on a PC with that same Windows version.

Now I don't know exactly what your "Virtual PC" does, but it sounds like it is doing the same thing - running "a foreign system" (to Windows 7) in one corner of your hard drive. It doesn't matter much how it all works, but something like that.

You are much better off having Win XP running because you would miss out on a lot of astrology software that won't run under Windows 7, and many programmers couldn't be bothered making changes for Windows 7. I certainly won't be in the next few years.

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:31 AM »
Hello,

Usually, the best way to go in these types of circumstances is to use a Virtual Machine (such as VMWare).

You won't have to mess with dual-boots, (which can cause problems) and you don't have to set aside a separate partition for a whole other operating system (waste of resources).

I use it all the time, works famously... and with it, you can run your Windows XP software on basically any platform.

Peace

James

http://www.james-alexander.de
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
Hi Halina

I glad that worked for you. I too have no clue about Virtual PC. Like you I've learnt things
as and when a problem arrives.

Offline Halina

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
Hi Sue, Here's how the tech guy explained it.  Suppose you find a program on the net but its 32bit and your computer won't accept it.
Go to bottom right corner and open Programs, click on Virtual PC, this opens XP Mode, click on it and its like a mini  site with an address bar.  Type in the www. address into that mini address bar and proceed as you would with your normal full screen computer to download this program but this time through XP Mode.  Hope you still have kept XP Mode on your computer for future need.

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 11:15:19 AM »
Thanks Halina

I've saved those instructions for future reference.

I don't think this computer will have the XP mode as it came with Windows 7.

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »
Hello Sue

The computer will have the XP mode (most likely) if it's not the Home Edition of Windows 7.  The other two versions of  Windows 7 are supposed to have a complete Windows XP built-in to handle compatibility issues.

If you are trying to run XP software on a Windows 7 machine, it will be easier with a version other than Windows 7 Home Edition, which would require a virtual machine or somesuch...

Peace

James
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 05:23:59 AM »
Hi James

Thank you.

Have just checked and it says I have Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.
64 bit operatiing system. So am guessing this is the Home Edition?
(Not sure what the Premium bit means)

I haven't had any problems opening things so far but will save all the info
for future reference.

Best Wishes

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 01:12:22 AM »
Yes, Sue, that is a Home Edition version.

There are (at least) six different Windows 7 versions, with three widely available through retail.

Your version actually CONTAINS the complete function set, but those additional features have to be unlocked.  ie. upgraded

This is why you can go from Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows Ultimate without downloading/reinstalling anything.

Hope this helps!

James

Offline Sue

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 04:08:13 AM »
Thanks James

Best Wishes

Offline Halina

Windows 7 Has Whole Function Set
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
Hi OD, When you say my windows 7 has the whole set.  Do I have to pay when I upgrade to Ultimate say?

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »
Yes... Microsoft still wants their money for their enhanced product.

They just made it so that upgrading only involved UNLOCKING certain features, which are invisible until you do the upgrade.

It's like a lot of demo/trial software.  The full program is already downloaded, but certain features (often the Save function) is disabled until you pay for the full version.  Entering a code then unlocks the full functionality.  Hope this helps....

James