Author Topic: The Huber Method  (Read 75932 times)

Offline James Williams

The Huber Method
« on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
Thanks to Halina, I was recently introduced to the Huber Method of Interpreting Western Charts.  I would invite everyone here to check this method out, as it works very well with other astrological methodology...including Noel's.

Attached below is my natal chart, and past lives chart, known in Huber terminology as the Moon Node chart.  I'll attach a third chart that they utilize, the Huber House Chart, in a subsequent post.

And here's a handy chart interpretation checklist of how to go about interpreting charts via the Huber Method...

"Chart Interpretation Checklist • Connect with the centre and focus yourself. • Look at the chart – use your eyes and senses. Is there an intuitive image or picture? What does this say? • Consider the shaping/motivation. • Look at the balance of colour. • What direction is the chart moving in – vertical/ horizontal? • Which hemispheres are emphasised, containing more planets? • Which quadrants are emphasised? • Are there recognisable aspect patterns? • Are any planets blocked off? Unaspected? Intercepted? • Are there Cuspal, Low Point or Stressed planets? • Assess the strength of the planets by sign and house.  • Is there any major polarity in the chart, suggesting conflict? • What is the comparative strength of the ego planets? • What does the Family Model suggest? • Consider the house/area of life of the Moon’s North Node.  • Look at the current movement of Age Point in the Life Clock.

The list might seem long and daunting, especially if you are new to astrological psychology, but with practice and experience it is possible to cover all these points... and more.  This book is intended to give an overview and a “taster” of how astrological psychology works and how it can be applied and used as a tool to further personal and spiritual growth. We would stress that this really is a relatively simple overview, and the techniques in this book can be considered in much greater depth than is presented presented here. There are also more advanced techniques that we have not mentioned, such as the use of the Moon Node Chart, the House Chart and Dynamic Quadrants, all of which offer further and deeper insights for the student and seeker alike."

Llewellyn, Richard. The Cosmic Egg Timer in Colour: Introducing Astrological Psychology (Kindle Locations 3407-3432). HopeWell. Kindle Edition.

As I'm just learning this method, I'll go slowly here in this thread in regards to the above points.  I know I'll include more as I become more familiar with their methodology...

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline James Williams

Re: The Huber Method
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:09:21 AM »
Starting first with the natal chart...

An intuitive image or picture I'm getting here is the word trapezoid.  I know I need to check out some definitions of this word to understand better why this is presenting itself to me. 

The shaping is triangular.

The balance of color...2 red, 3 (or 5) blue, and 6 (or 7) green.

The chart is moving in a vertical direction.

The hemisphere and quadrant emphasis is fairly evenly balanced.

The aspect patterns and the rest I'll mention in a subsequent post.

Will go into more delineation of the above in the next post.

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline Halina

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
Hi James, I couldn't sleep last nite as insights from your Huber shapes flooded my mind.....a Eureka moment!
Is there an intuitive image or picture?  What does this say?   Consider the shaping/motivations.    Yes, you are right, the shaping is triangular.   You life theme is revealed by the total images.
     I see an iceburg, with its tip above the horizon pointing to your 10th of career and pointing also to Uranus, planet of astrology, the tip of the iceberg along with Uranus represent your consciousness, also some aspect of your career.
This triangle is represented by the "Striving Figure" below....what you strive for.   Now the bottom of this triangle joins unto a small talent triangle pointing beneath the horizon to the 4th House, the collective, particularly the Tyl site collective forum.
In other words what you are bringing to light in your consciousness, you spread to us people in the collective who are still unconscious about your findings.   You arlert our minds as this small talent triangle points to Mercury.
    Now we can form midpoint pictures from these triangles.   For the striving triangle we get Venus/Saturn = Uranus and for the small talent triangle we get Mercury = Venus/Saturn (use Tyl's "Synthesis Book" or "COSI" by Ebertin for interps.
The striving triangle also has Uranus = Venus/Jupiter.
    Now this striving triangle throws a shadow of itself unto the water represented by the triangle Sun = Moon/Pluto and points into the 4th House of unconsciousness/repression of the collective.
   Now I see a large boat beside the iceberg represented by the triangle Sun, Moon, Neptune....Sun below the surface shows me that you are probing the unconscious, which is a mystery to you(Neptune) and you are trying to bring portions of this bottom part of the iceberg to the surface, to consciousness, represented by you, the Moon in the 9th of Higher Understanding.
The Sun in the 4th connects you to the environment, the collective, particularly the collective Tyl group.
   You also have two linears, namely Mars/Venus and Uranus/Jupiter.....these may come to light later in your readings.
Your LIFE THEME is revealed here....as you said on another post..."My aim is to learn as much as I can and to pass this knowledge on."   Scroll to the left and to the right to see all the shapes in your radical chart.
Your "Shadow Personality" is represented by the part of the iceberg beneath the surface (more on this later in your readings).
    Hudson Valley are you seeing some deep insights here?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:25:51 AM by Halina »

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
Thanks James and Halina...

Here is my "intuitive" take away James on the first chart"

"An architects "angle" (triangle) lying on top of a paper airplane; The paper airplane lying on top of a pile of loose leaf pages that are blank."

These images appear to be lifting skyward but the angle wants to go one way and the paper plane wants to take another direction. For my money I would leave the interpretation up to you as I have no clue if that is a significant and worthwhile view or pure poppycock.

I think there is something of a danger in this kind of approach when put in the wrong hands. So, I am keenly interested in the follow up discussion here. I've spied the book on the Hopewell Plublisher website and will think about grabbing it (too many projects right now to consider a distraction) later.

My concern is that of the astrologer positioning him or herself as an intermediary of sorts. When we cling to this romantic notion of being "mysterious, esoteric, and elite" overly complicating matters unnecessarily and "mixing" elements that are not necessarily compatible for synthesis, we risk losing our holistic approach in favor of emphasizing a fragmentary one. Oil and water don't mix for example so some presentations will never synthesize into a "solution". If instead we see that this particular age requires no intermediaries, or high priests, then our jobs as astrologers becomes demystified. I think the demystification of astrology is Noel's greatest achievement. Perhaps the Huber Method is not a mixture after all and that's what I will be on the look out for... So, very much looking forward to learn more about it here...

As for Noel's work, my view is that his "objective realization" and analytical work with symbolism is precisely a synthesis with the human being front and center. I think from my point of view that makes all the difference here in that it is not simply astrology "mixed" with humanistic knowledge but those elements combined with the person(s) involved AND their lived experience.

All the best,

HVA

Offline Halina

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
Hi James & HVA    A good exercise would be to see what other people had shapes like you.....for example what geometrical shapes did Jung, Freud, Adler have.....guys who studied the unconscious and the "shadow personality".
    I was watching a show on "Investigative Discovery" about an evil Mormon, Ervil LeBaron....February 22, 1925 – August 15, 1981) was the leader of a polygamous Mormon fundamentalist group who ordered the killings of many of his opponents, using the religious doctrine of blood atonement to justify the murders. He was sentenced to life in prison for orchestrating the murder of an opponent, and died there.
    He had at least 13 wives in a plural marriage, several of whom he married while they were still underage, and several of whom were involved in the murders.
Notice he has other geometrical shapes.   A good book for this study is "Aspect Pattern Astrology".   Over 45 distinct Aspect Figures are identified, each with its own meanings.   The aspect pattern reaveals the structure and basic motivations of our consciousness.
    Now look at the Mormon cult leaders 1. Radix   2. Geometrical shapes in radix. below:   Continue reading your book, just thought I'd throw in a little motivation.
Waiting for your next post on your chart.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:42:15 PM by Halina »

Offline James Williams

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »
Thank you Halina and Tim for your insights here as to what has come to mind regarding the first step in the Huber method...you've both given me much to consider, which seems to be a strength when one has others look at his or her chart!

Continuing, the majority of aspects in all 3 of my Huber charts are the green colored ones.  Here's what Hopewell (see above) says about the color green...

"A person who lives life in a “green” way will be full of curiosity. They will be sensitive, constantly searching, questing and seeking to understand as much as possible. Their prime motivation would be to learn."

This is spot on.  My life theme.

Hopewell continued, "Do the aspects have a vertical appearance? Are they mostly moving from the IC area at the base of the chart towards the MC at the top? If so, the person’s motivation will be towards individuality. They will be seeking to stand out in some way, to attain recognition. This might make them ambitious, and they could easily neglect their interpersonal relationships as they focus on their need to be noticed and make their mark in the world.  If the aspects move in a more horizontal direction, motivation is more concerned with contact with others. In a horizontal chart the aspects lay predominantly across the chart, from the AC to the DC area. This suggests someone who is oriented towards other people and likely to incorporate this into their personal and professional lives, choosing to work in areas where “people skills” are important. There is a danger that such people will neglect developing their own individuality in favour of working for and supporting others."

Again, very true, although my motivation has been towards individuality rather than material or worldly ambition.

Notice that my natal chart has a dominance of vertical lines, while my past lives chart, the Moon's Node chart, has a dominance of horizontal lines.  This suggests that my past orientation has been more towards others, while this lifetime has been much more oriented towards self or individuality.

Will continue with more next time.

Offline Halina

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »
Hi James, wow, spot on is right.   I ordered her book and it should be arriving in January.     This lady Hopewell presents it very well and I suggest her books for introductory students.
Her other book is The Living Birth Chart which I have finished reading.
     The Hubers, husband and wife, have more detailed books such as the following:
The Living Clock, which deals more with the Age Point, Highs and Lows periods in your life, etc
Moon Node Astrology which deals with the 3 charts including the Moon Node chart.
Aspect Pattern Astrology which deals with 45 distinct shapes and their interps.
     They have other books but these are the only ones I think I will use as the material is repeated
thru'out the books.

Offline Halina

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
       I was always looking for a good description for the meaning of "projection".    Wanda Smit gives a good answer in her interpretation of a "Projection Triangle" in her natal chart:....."She introduces the reader to a better understanding of the aspect patterns in her chart.   About the experiences lived through the most important aspect figure, the projection triangle, she writes:  “Projection is sheer illusion.   Like a film is only make-believe life.” Or  “Yet I know, what I find
disturbing in them, are simply my own destructive and negative emotions, reflected back to me through my projections.   I need more positive people around now, because I am more positive.   Letting go of them is just letting go of my own negativity. When one does get to a point in life where one has withdrawn all one’s own projections and see people as they truly are?”
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:09:34 PM by Halina »

Offline Steven7

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the teaching, interesting thread .

What pops in your chart James is  Uranus in full aspect to your Mercury the planet of intellect and astrologers. It's getting an inspirational zap from electrical Uranus 180 degrees away.
Their midpoint is  in Scorpio the sign of occult studies.

Offline James Williams

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 03:46:20 AM »
Thank you again Halina, and Steven7.

Let's continue.

The Huber's place much more significance on each person's aspect patterns than they do with the initial intuitive images.  I'll just present two aspect patterns in my natal chart which they mention.

The first one they call Ear/Eye.  It is comprised of one sextile, and the two semi-sextiles which make up that one sextile.  In my natal chart, the sextile is formed between Venus in Pisces, and Jupiter-Saturn in Capricorn.  Mercury is positioned halfway between the two ends of the sextile.

"This small triangular pattern both looks and acts like a tiny radar dish. It is highly sensitive to picking up and storing all manner of information from the surrounding environment. It gathers this in, working most of the time on auto-pilot, stashing it away for future use as and when the occasion demands.  The Ear/ Eye works effectively as an information gatherer. The green semi-sextiles continuously absorb facts, clues, hints, words, visual impressions and anything else of interest from the surrounding environment. These are then stored for future use in the blue sextile aspect, and can be accessed when the need arises."

Again, spot on, but only with topics or concepts which interest me.

Another aspect pattern which they mention has been much more dominant in my life.  They call it the Dominant Learning Triangle.

The Dominant Learning Triangle is comprised of one green quincunx line, one red square, and one blue trine.  You can see it in my natal chart with the square between Sun and Neptune, the quincunx between Sun and Moon, and the trine between Moon and Neptune.

"The Dominant Learning Triangle represents on-going learning for life. This is likely to be an important feature in the life of the person who has one of these in their chart. Lessons which dominate the person’s life theme will come up time and time again, and it is through these that they will learn more about themselves, their interactions with others, and the way they can best develop and present their own skills."

Totally spot on.  Again, my life theme.

Will move ahead next time to the position of planets within a sign, and how they say that affects the planets strength...

Offline Halina

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
Excellent James, if you are presenting more on aspects I won't jump in yet.....are you?

Offline James Williams

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »
That's OK Halina, you can jump in with whatever at any time.  I'm just giving a very fast overview, so there will be many fine details that remain to be discussed...

OK, the strength of the planets, according to the Huber Method.  More from Joyce Hopewell (see above)...

"The weakest point in a sign is at 0°, the sign cusp. This is on the boundary with the previous sign, so a planet here has little motivation to express itself in the manner of this sign.  Working anti-clockwise through the sign from the cusp, the energy output increases until we reach the strongest point at 11½º. After that the energy decreases until we reach the next cusp at the end of the sign. Between 8º and 18º the energy is considered as strong."

I have Moon at 11 degrees, Neptune at 11 degrees, Sun at 9 degrees, and Mars retrograde at 0 degrees.  We could talk for at least an hour just on my Mars alone...

And notice how this segues into Noel's emphasis on the Aries Point planets...

;)

Offline James Williams

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »
Age Point and Life Clock...

Am still waiting for the book I ordered on this to arrive, so for now I'll just include Hopewell's summary of these important concepts...

"Summary – Life Clock • Age Progression is the Huber method of timing in the horoscope. • Age Point moves anticlockwise from AC at birth, taking 6 years to move through each house. • There is a surge of outward energy at the cardinal points AC, DC, MC, IC , and to a lesser degree at other house cusps. • At the Low Points energy and attention are more directed inward – periods of reflection and ‘taking stock’. – The 8th house Low Point is of particular significance, corresponding with the Low Point of the whole chart and the traditional ‘mid-life crisis’. • Each house is associated with a corresponding psychological life phase. • Life experience through small houses can be intense; large houses can be eventful and hectic but with shallower experiences. • Age Point passing through a change of sign can signal a corresponding change in the quality of psychological life experience. • Conjunction or opposition of Age Point with a planet emphasises experience of those planetary energies, and of related aspect patterns. Other aspects can also be significant, to a lesser degree."

Offline James Williams

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 01:07:56 AM »
...and will just add the following on the traditional mid-life crisis at around age 45-46...

Mid-Life Crisis

"The 8th house is important. The 8th house Low Point is also the psychological Low Point of the whole chart. This occurs between the ages of 45 and 46; the mid-forties coinciding with the classic age of the mid-life crisis. Very often people face all manner of challenges and have life changing experiences at this Low Point. The psychological life phase is one of transformation and rebirth. 

From around the age of 42 onwards, there is a new orientation in marriage or partnerships, in family commitments and in professional life. By this age most women will have had their children and are starting to think about either returning to work or doing something new or different which will incorporate their own needs and interests as well as those of their family. There may also be a period of utter boredom and teeth-gnashing frustration, for women and men alike, when they ask themselves “What am I doing with my life? I’m doing the same thing day in, day out. What is the point of it all?” 

Big changes can be made at this stage. Many people at this Low Point change their job; some leave the relationship they’re in. They may feel that their environment challenges them to consider what they are doing with their lives, and this forces them to assess how satisfying things are for them in reality. At every Low Point we are closer to the soul’s purpose, but even more so during the intense Low Point experience in the 8th house. We are more keenly attuned to take heed of our inner voice, and to act upon the guidance which comes from within. We connect with what is coming from the circle in the centre of the chart, and we begin to question what we are doing, why we are doing it. We know that changes need to be made.

When we understand the psychological life phases, it’s easier to manage the bad or difficult patch we happen to be going through. We can see that it’s just that – a phase – and that it is not going to go on indefinitely. Issues that are intense and uppermost at the time do pass. Time moves on; hopefully we, engaging our will, can also move on. But the chances are that if we don’t grasp the nettle, meet the challenges that arise at this point in time and deal with them, they will come back again at a later date and demand our attention."

Offline James Williams

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Here's another quick example...

This person has a 4-planet stellium in their 12th House of "monastery" in their Huber Moon Node chart, which suggests past life tendencies.  Additionally, Neptune is near the MC in the 10th House, while Jupiter tightly squares one of the 12th House planets.

In their natal chart this time around, Sun, Moon, North Node, and two other planets are in their 5th House of creativity, or creative self-expression.

In their Huber House Chart, which suggests a future orientation, it nearly echoes their natal chart this time around, with the emphasis on the 5th House.

This person spent some time in a spiritual community this time around, but eventually left and is successful now in marketing and sales.  Several could not understand why this person left community.

Also note that natal chart North Node is in the 5th...previous lives South Node in the 11th...

;)