Author Topic: Astrologer in Sanskrit  (Read 1328 times)

Offline James Williams

Astrologer in Sanskrit
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
Was looking at a Sanskrit word for astrologer yesterday, then decided to do a complete search...the result really surprised me, and it takes a fair amount any more to surprise me about anything...

http://spokensanskrit.org/index.php?mode=3&script=hk&tran_input=astrologer&direct=au

As much as "humanistic" practitioners of Western astrology want to sweep all this under the rug, these definitions are still--and will remain--in the subconscious and conscious parts of our collective and individual minds...

;)

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline Robynne

Re: Astrologer in Sanskrit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:38:51 AM »
Due to the fact that it is Masaru Emoto's birthday today, which means his Sun was at 29' Cancer the degree of my True North Node, I decided to use the kindly supplied page to look up the word 'water' in Sanskrit, but have to honestly confess that I am none the wiser.

Gee, am still trying to learn the correct pronunciation of Jyotish.

The closest I can approximate is the sound 'yo-teesh'.

😎
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:10:25 AM by Robynne »
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline Steven7

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:44 AM »
Thanks for the engine James.

Isn't it  kind of universal these days when speaking to people with Sanskrit based language like  Hindi or Gujarati background  to say Jyotishy for astrologer and  Jyotish for  astrology ?

Same deal with water  if you say Jal,  anyone with a Sanskrit based language background like Hindi or Gujarati   would know what Jal is.
 I've heard that India  had a thousand languages and 200 parliamentary languages,
 Today with transportation  and communication devices  we may see some of the smaller minority languages die off like in the west . Some native languages are down to 1 or two speakers in the USA.

Sanskrit is an important language and  will survive even if it like Latin is not a conversational spoken language these days.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:16:51 AM by Steven7 »

Offline James Williams

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:50:25 AM »
Yes, Jyotish is pronounced joe-teesh.  Or sometimes you'll see it as Jyotisha, pronounced joe-teesh-uh.  And astrologers are referred to as jyotishis.

Regarding the various languages which still exist in India, I'm reminded of a story that K.N. Rao once told regarding a time he was travelling on a train and by listening very closely he was able to understand the language that two other astrologers were conversing in, and Rao picked up a couple of astrological "secrets" which he researched and found to be very accurate...

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).