Author Topic: Is astrology based on God?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline pdw

Re: Is astrology based on God?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 02:52:58 AM »
We need examples like these to formulate/follow theories that work in practice, and move away from theories that are just smoke.

sesh, I so agree! Especially with the 'smoke' part.  ;)

Offline pdw

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 03:57:35 AM »
Ken, good points about the other positive synastry between their charts. Admit I didn’t look for that since my focus at the moment seems to be on refining an understanding and use of the Nodal Axis that works for me (which seems to fit with transiting Pluto-Mercury a degree away from my NN).

I find that I’m resisting (or is that questioning?) some of the ideas and language associated with the Nodes “as the theory goes”, as you say. Appreciate yours and all the comments here contributing to my personal study. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:57:45 AM by pdw »

Offline pdw

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2023, 04:12:08 AM »
Thankyou Ken, but I just introduced the topic and then the conversation took on a life of its own. Without everyone's fine contributions it would have been a fizzler.  ;D

pdw, that is a brilliant example for Dionne Warwick and Burt Bacharach. It prompted thoughts of my favourite singer/songwriter duo Bernie Taupin and Elton John. So I drew up a basic synastry chart, and the nodal contacts are quite amazing, and self explanatory. Each have their Sun cj the others North Node. And a Jupiter-Mercury conjunction to boot.

https://postimg.cc/YGTfNLF8

I have to say, some very fine thinking and debate going on here.  :)

Robynne, thanks for another excellent example of Nodal synastry.

And thanks to you and all for the stimulating discussion here!

Offline Ken Haining

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2023, 06:51:43 AM »
Hi Robynne

Mutual North Nodes on each other's Sun position would indicate quite a good influence on each other for sure.

I don't recall ever having a close relationship, friendship, or romance with someone with their North Lunar Node on my Natal Sun, nor with someone whose Natal Sun is on my North Node position.  Perhaps before I leave this incarnation I might experience one or both of those. 

Astrologer, the late Jan Spiller, wrote a book, Astrology for the Soul, and she emphasized the importance of giving precedence to the North Node, and without naming the South Node, she warned against going down that path.  The idea was that in this incarnation you need to learn the lessons of emphasizing the positive characteristics of the Sign that the North Node represents, and avoid the pitfalls of the Sign that is represented by the South Node.  She also said that you should read the interpretations  for the Houses that the Nodes are in.  For example, I would read the advice for North Node in Aquarius, but also read the advice for North Node in Taurus, as my North Node is in the 2nd House.  I will note that this would create a bit of confusion unless you intelligently synthesized the two. 

This book, Astrology for the Soul, was quite detailed, and when an astrologer takes the time to write such a book, I hesitate to completely dismiss it, even if I disagree with some of it.   Jam Spiller stated, in the book, that the first thing that she looks at when she reads a chart is the Nodes.  Sorry, but the Sun Sign is King.  After all, the Sun is the center of it all for we who live in its Solar System.  However, I knew another astrologer who did the same thing, looked at the Nodes first, and thought that most astrologers pay way too little attention to the Nodes.  Ultimately, due to my roller coaster life, I lost that book, and, I found my son's analysis to be better than hers, so I don't know if I will ever acquire another copy.  But, the idea that you must consciously follow the North Lunar Node to maximize the benefits and effectiveness of your life is probably more than  "smoke."

I covet the opinions of some of the others who post here, particularly Alice McDermott, aka, Alice Portman, and Halina.  Both of them mentioned that i was going into, and I am now into, a new Firdaria Cycle, which is represented by the North Node, and it lasts from age 70 to 73.  This is classically supposed to be a favorable time, as it is represented by the North Node.  The next cycle, which runs from age 73 to 75, is represented by the South Node, and is considered to be very "challenging."  Once again, the idea of the North Node being beneficial, and the South Node being detrimental, is contained in various areas of astrology.

I will stop there for now.  I look forward to reading other opinions. 

Ken

Offline Robynne

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2023, 04:06:39 PM »
Ken, Am familiar with Jan Spillers: Astrology for the Soul, I think her nodal axis interpretation was the one that first resonated with me. That book was dog eared. From memory, Don Borkowski actually knew her in person.

Re: meeting a person with their North Node on your Sun? You could start with asking everyone you meet if they were born between 8-12 January 1959, for a rough start.

If a one degree orb was allowable, I think my older sister fits the bill. (Just a lighter note here)  ;D
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline Ken Haining

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2023, 06:40:35 AM »
Hi Robynne

I would allow more than a one degree orb for someone's North Node conjunct someone's Natal Sun.  Probably 6 degrees. 

There are a lot of factors in synasty.  You're born in that time where you have your Neptune smack on my Venus, which is probably why I tend to like you and your writings here, for example.

Susanna Hoffs, of the Bangles, was born January 17, 1959, with her North Node smack on my Sun, and I love watching videos of her playing her guitar and singing with the Bangles, especially back in the 80s.  But, alas, I never met her in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW3-st3a-YY&ab_channel=ScottishTeeVee

As for your sister, the problem with New Zealand girls is that they tend to be half a foot taller than me, and they live on the other side of the world.   I mean, I won't say that I didn't like Xena, Warrior Princess, but I liked her little partner better. 

The Nodes certainly are interesting, and worthy of continuous study and observation. 

Ken

Offline adol33

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2023, 01:06:02 PM »
I determinate the exact time of your birth and where you would live - Acts 17:26

Offline BigMac

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »
Hey Robynne,

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I've been busy lately.

The simple answer to your question "Is Astrology based on God?" is "Yes!" In my forthcoming book (our mutual friend HVA is reading it currently) I make the case for Astrology as "Kabbalah in action". Tradition has it that Kabbalah is received wisdom, given to God's chosen people at the dawn of Human evolution. The fundamental precepts of Kabbalah explain the nature/structure/purpose of Astrology.

If you're interested in Kabbalah, read "The Way of Kabbalah" by the late Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi (aka Warren Kenton)- very readable and quite uplifting.

H.

Offline Robynne

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 04:07:05 AM »
Hello Henry,

Good to see you back on board. I imagine if you have been writing a book you have been very busy. I'm sure Tim would be a good person to review it for you.

Kabbalah; Now, I did have a wee glimpse into it a few decades ago now, on the recommendation of another astrology friend, I think I found it difficult as I didn't have the frames of reference, or even ear for the language, so it was  tricky trying to make the reading stick.

But, I do like to understand the principles of things, so will keep an eye out for your book recommendation. Currently the mysteries of dna have been holding my attention.   ;D
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »
Hi pdw,

Re: "OD, I see what you mean. Maybe we can anticipate that a lifetime of experience with the Nodal Axis will create some kind of identification with both sides of the axis. Perhaps incorporating the houses (activities, areas) emphasized as an intake-outlet for the sign polarity will add more definition - ?"

Yes, I agree...but, if balance is the key (and it would seem to be, based on the opposite sign, opposite house that would seem to be ultimately pushing for that), then playing to one end of the nodal axis as growth/development and the other as falling back wrongly on the past; it seems it would work against balance.  (Unless of course, in the grand scheme of things, that turns out to be exactly the case, that major needed growth in one direction (and potentially limitation of the other end) might be just what is needed.)  In event charts and in some ways in natal charts, we can read the Nodes, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that there is more to this.  We've already noted the conspicuous appearance of the Nodes often to be angular in those LRtoSun charts, especially, when a person dies. 

Re: "Also, like sesh, you have a natal planet (Neptune) squaring the Nodal Axis. I’m curious how-if you factor that into your Nodal understanding and experience."

To me, the whole Saturn-S.Node square Neptune construct seems to be ascetic in nature and tries to push one (me) to give spiritual/creative/empathetic things their due.  It also relates to feeling lonely, even when in a crowded room, I believe.  At any rate, I am sure it colors both my understanding of the Nodal Axis, as you astutely notice, but probably also colors what I want to try and read into its placements.  ie. more universal, infinite rather than mundane, limited ways of applying it...   

Lastly, that construct also (tied in with Noel's Nodal commentary) shows that I would likely have a mournful (Neptune) separation (Saturn) from my Mother.  Which is true.  On the other hand, I have the Jupiter-Neptune-Sun grand trine, which landed me at my Grandparents and in much better stead. 

http://www.james-alexander.de
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain

Offline Robynne

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
I would allow more than a one degree orb for someone's North Node conjunct someone's Natal Sun.  Probably 6 degrees.

Agreed Ken. My eldest grandaughter has a Sun cj Mercury in Cancer conjunct my NN in Cancer. That girl carries around a large piece of my heart. Or is it vice versa?  ;D We also have Pisces Moon's that are conjunct by two degrees.

Offline pdw

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2023, 11:27:22 AM »

Re: "Also, like sesh, you have a natal planet (Neptune) squaring the Nodal Axis. I’m curious how-if you factor that into your Nodal understanding and experience."

To me, the whole Saturn-S.Node square Neptune construct seems to be ascetic in nature and tries to push one (me) to give spiritual/creative/empathetic things their due.  It also relates to feeling lonely, even when in a crowded room, I believe.  At any rate, I am sure it colors both my understanding of the Nodal Axis, as you astutely notice, but probably also colors what I want to try and read into its placements.  ie. more universal, infinite rather than mundane, limited ways of applying it...   

That’s a very interesting take, OD.

I thought about your 8th House Aquarius Saturn-South Node in relation to my experience of you here – Aquarius=astrology; Saturn=instructive authority; 8th House=valuable research, deep sharing with others; South Node=social release that benefits others. Perhaps standing out and being respected in astrology, for your deep understanding (Neptune) and work with unique techniques, is another kind of ‘loneliness’ or separateness connected to Saturn’s role as a leader.     

Thanks for the reply.

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2023, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi pdw,

Thank you, I feel flattered by your description. 

From the beginning, the idea has always been to see what is really True and what is merely believed to be true.  There have been many key figures that have tried to separate the astrological wheat from the chaff.  I find them inspirational, because it is like the (astrological) slate is wiped clean, and then it is at least attempted to only add back the elements that prove themselves reliable, after copious, exacting, mathematical research.  All the philosophizing in the world, won't bring us one centimeter closer, without the math and extremely detailed testing.  Guaranteed.  That's how it got /$%&§)'d up in the first place, too much of the latter and not enough of the former.

So far, many (moving) systems have proven themselves extremely reliable...  (and virtually all of them in both direct and converse)

Transits...
Progressions (Prog MC Method is SA in Right Ascension, not Long)...
Topocentric Primary Directions...
Sidereal Solar/Lunar/Solar to Moon/Lunar to Sun Returns...
Age Harmonics...

There are more (Solar/Lunar Arcs, for instance), and much testing still, but if the birthtime is right, these give reliable info.  [Note that for the Topocentric Primary Directions and Age Harmonics, that a very precise birthtime is needed.  Having (merely) the correct minute, isn't nearly accurate enough.   (though that "weakness" is exactly their strength in helping rectify, especially the Primary Directions)]

If we don't somehow send ourselves back to the relative stone-age, I think it (astrology) will keep advancing, as long as new things are critically looked at, and mathematical/statistical standards are kept.  Already, in the last century or so, we have had a fundamental correction in the way primary directions should be calculated, the one true House system has been derived empirically, and due to computer efficiency, we can analyze many, many more charts than were ever possible before.  Without computers and great software, looking at just the transits, progressions, primaries, and their converses, plus age harmonics; would have taken a whole evening to generate and look at.

One thing I have noticed, and I have to thank Isaac for this, is that when a chart is correctly rectified, there is just a lot more to see that is dramatic when looking at all of these auxiliary charts.  Additionally, the deep research into Topocentric cusps/powerpoints has shown them to also be reliable aspectually, extremely often.  (both in general and in cyclical charts) 

I find it all fascinating...and it is wonderful in a way, that there is always more to analyze.  We have a strong base, but there's room for more, as long as we remain discriminating in the details. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:15:36 AM by ODdOnLifeItself »
http://www.james-alexander.de
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain