Author Topic: something like a like button  (Read 9293 times)

Offline Barbara Ybarra

something like a like button
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:14:38 AM »
Hello.  Since I am not highly technical, I don't know how this might be done, but it would be really nice to have a method of noting appreciation for a post without needing to make a remark.  Others have expressed the same wish.  There have been a few times when I really did not have anything to say except that I enjoyed or agreed with the post, and sometimes I hate to respond with that because that means that my name will be up at the top again when I would prefer that the other person have their name showing (at least till someone else has something substantial or new to contribute).  Anyway, that is my request.

-Barbara Ybarra

Offline Admin

• Administrator
Re: something like a like button
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:59:33 AM »
Sorry Barbara

I can't seem to find any such buttons  ???

Admin

Offline Antonio

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »
There are several mods available (free and paid), but most are no longer compatible to the current version of this Forum (SMF). Considering the actual benefice of such button, it would be quite cumbersome to update the Forum from the old 1.1.11 version.  :-\

Anyway, if someone feel so inclined, the Version 1.1.3 of GoodPostBadPost, seems compatible:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1890

Or the old version of Thank-O-Matic (ThankOMatic125_v2.zip)
http://www.smfpersonal.net/downloads.html;sa=view;down=322

SMF Likes Pro Mod (a paid version, not compatible):
http://www.smfpacks.com/likes
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:45:35 AM by Antonio »

Offline Antonio

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
My opinion (like it or not):

- People with a lack of self confidence / esteem may consider suicide, during the lonely, dark and cold winter days, if they only get a few "likes".   :o

- Compassionate souls will go out of their way to distribute "likes", "kisses" and "hearts" to those in need (of likes).... and that's squishy, soppy  and lame!  :'(

- People with Venus in Aires may get into seductive schemes just to test and improve their likability.  :-*

- Competitive freaks would kill for more "likes" than they can chew.  :P

p.s.; My opinion is based on a cientific survey that I conducted for more than a year, over family, friends, john-jane-doe and even baby cats and dogs in facebook pages.

Offline Maz

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »

My opinion (like it or not): etc....

Oooops!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:03:52 AM by Maz »

Offline Antonio

aMAZing!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »

Offline Gaby13

• Teaching Financial astrology and Numerology
    • Astroworld
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »
Why are we so keen to have the "likes" as in FB, twitter, etc??
Is it because we are not sure in ourselves?
Is it because our self esteem is down below the earth ?
Is it because we want attention?
But from whom?
I would be glad to receive a confirmation of my views from someone that I admire, or is a professor in astrology- if we are to talk about astrology.
But Do I want to receive likes from people who have no idea of what I am talking about? What for?
So before one is a need to receive likes- just check your own map- where is Chiron? Why do you need a hug from an anonymous...
"

Offline Antonio

something like a god
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
It seems we all agree that such a button it is not a good idea.
Yet, before I move to the grown up (sometimes depressing) zone of this Forum, I couldn't resist to offer a flashy "like" to Maz, who contributed to this innocuous discussion with an acute sense of humor. 

Robynne, unless you suffer from photosensitive epilepsy, you don't need to be jealous of my flashy design.
I have a nice one for you, too!  :P

Offline Antonio

Re: something i don't like
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:57 AM »
Olá Robynne,

She does not reflect my taste, because we are two different people and not mirrors of each other. If we were mirrors, we would be all broken by now!  ;D

I'll pass her your nice massage. As my pupil, she's not yet allowed to visit this forum and steal the applause [or collect the rotten tomatoes to make juice] from my Leo Moon.

It's been hard enough to be popular and original, with so many folks with the 'be-all-things-to-all' aquarian syndrome, around here. So, first, she needs to study some books that i lent her. With her Sun+Mercury in Taurus, plus Venus in Gemini, all in the 9th house, that's a piece of cake!

Now that her parents, sister and pets are away [leaving her too much space to breath and care for herself], her Scorpio Moon was craving for some new and breath taking mission. If a part-time job, learning to drive a car and save the planet isn't enough, as a last resort, I may have to throw her the original brick-bible!!! That should keep her busy until i leave the stage...

All in all it's a fair trade: I teach her how to self-learn astrology... she teaches me good manners and how to be nicer to people and all God's little creatures [i have an army of ants to kill in the kitchen]. Guess whos the best student?
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm writing all this just because things are so quiet around here. There's a phrase that Barbara often uses when all the birds become silent in the thread trees: "I don't like it!".

I went to see if the Moon was VOC, but no it's not! So, keep singing folks....

http://www.moontracks.com/void_of_course_moon_dates.html

Offline Stacy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »
My opinion (like it or not):

- People with a lack of self confidence / esteem may consider suicide, during the lonely, dark and cold winter days, if they only get a few "likes".   :o

- Compassionate souls will go out of their way to distribute "likes", "kisses" and "hearts" to those in need (of likes).... and that's squishy, soppy  and lame!  :'(

- People with Venus in Aires may get into seductive schemes just to test and improve their likability.  :-*

- Competitive freaks would kill for more "likes" than they can chew.  :P

p.s.; My opinion is based on a cientific survey that I conducted for more than a year, over family, friends, john-jane-doe and even baby cats and dogs in facebook pages.

Dare I say....I 'like' it?! 

Being highly Uranian/Aquarian, popularity contests and human games never interested me. Seems such a silly waste of positive energy..

Stacy
"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 01:39:25 PM »
Why not just type in:

Good post!

Don B.
True astrology is that which can be taught to other people who can then replicate the teachers' conclusions through their own effort.  --Don Borkowski in July 1983 issue of MERCURY HOUR

Offline Stacy

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
Hello.  Since I am not highly technical, I don't know how this might be done, but it would be really nice to have a method of noting appreciation for a post without needing to make a remark.  Others have expressed the same wish.  There have been a few times when I really did not have anything to say except that I enjoyed or agreed with the post, and sometimes I hate to respond with that because that means that my name will be up at the top again when I would prefer that the other person have their name showing (at least till someone else has something substantial or new to contribute).  Anyway, that is my request.

-Barbara Ybarra

Why do you care if your name shows up 6 times, or once?  It means you have been moved to contribute to something that is thought-provoking.  And isn't that why we are here?

Stacy
"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.