Author Topic: Book recommendation  (Read 216 times)

Offline Barbara Ybarra

Book recommendation
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Hello readers, astrologers.

I have often been disappointed in astrology books (except Noel's of course).  Yesterday I read a book on writing, and I have to say, I think it is a book about life, so even though a few things in it are strictly for writers, most of it is for anyone who thinks about life as being deeper than a bread box.  In fact, I had to throw the book down a few times and run for my notebook to jot down my ideas on astrology charts. 

Most importantly, if you are ever in need of a good laugh, and I mean one where you cannot catch your breath and you are almost rolling on the floor, I recommend this one:  Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott.  I have a disabling head cold at present, so I was confined for the day to my house, and I suspected I was in dire need of cheering up, but no, this book is genuinely funny even if you don't have a head cold and you are not feeling sorry for yourself.  I tried to read some of it to my husband, who hardly reads anything but music sheets and how to swing his golf club, and he was laughing before I could get it out, which was hard for me to do because I was laughing so hard while reading it.  I finally put a book mark in it and told him to read those three pages himself.  But don't wait for the funny parts.  Let the rest of it speak to your heart, and ask yourself why you are really doing astrology in the first place.

Offline Pamela Young

Re: Book recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:06:37 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Barbara; we could all use a book like that, for sure.  I will look for it later today when I have to go out; am hoping one of my local bookstores will have it.

Offline bestgranny

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »
thanks for the message about the book. some  of the best books i have read have been given to me by strangers.

Offline pdw

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
I’m adding another Thumbs-Up for this one. I recall, after being surrounded by Lamott's birdsong, my astrology mind was renewed and eager to express, inspire, and connect with others.   

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:54:32 AM »
Thanks.

Got this for my wife back when it was published but never read it myself. Better pull it off the book shelf.

HVA