Author Topic: A Practicing Astrologer?!  (Read 7040 times)

Offline James Williams

A Practicing Astrologer?!
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »
How would you define a practicing astrologer?

What do people expect of astrologers?

;D
"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline James Williams

Re: A Practicing Astrologer?!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:22 AM »

To sum it up I would say that "practicing" means when we realize as astrologers that the "symbol is the thing symbolized" I think then we are being/becoming astrologers (its a never ending process). My presumption is that it is not a possibility to attain this level without a clientele, if even for a small period of time. So, as far as I am concerned, I am just a hobbyist at this point and not a PROFESSIONAL astrologer who is in PRACTICE as an astrologer. "Practice"="In the field" not in the lab doing research, or writing newsletters. What's interesting is that what works in the lab doesn't always work in the field and only field experience can teach us that... but I think it is also imperative to read, and test things out, which is why the Forum is such a gift of sharing and learning together... consulting isn't for everyone but that doesn't mean we can't make a contribution. The Forum will make me a better practicing astrologer someday... or writer... researcher... or whatever I end up becoming. The distinction for me is that the "practicing astrologer" in my mind holds a certain reverence and respect fpr me since I understand with every fiber of my body what it takes to get there... 

And I do hope to be that... one day...

HVA
"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline Stacy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
"Hobbyist".  I can accept that and see myself as that, now. Or a consultant (when asked). Informal teacher, even.

Nothing wrong with any of these levels. But when I was younger and medical issues did not consume my every waking moment, I did research and even made a stab at writing; was going to use my 3rd house abilities and submit to TMA but life got in the way. In middle school I actually did a major homework assignment on astrology (age 11, I think) which got me an A grade and lots and lots of curious classmates. Beginning of teaching! (my astrology teacher felt I was meant to use my Uranus-MC and teach astrology in a "BIG" (Leo) way.  But fizzled out when family and divorced parents and other things intruded.

I just didn't have proper "LEVEL" as NT suggests. Every time I planned to take Noel's course, I had a 4th house crises and had to move (Uranus r. 4th).  Apparently wasn't meant to be. Not enough stability in my environment to my deep regret.

I can see your points, HVA. Thanks for clarifying.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:59:54 AM by Stacy »
"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
Forum,

I don't know that I would go so far as to suggest that "not practicing" astrology is snobbery...

No, I in fact I would never adhere to any hard and fast rule. Rules are meant to be broken! Which is why I have such a hard time following the rules myself.

But you know every once in a while a special person comes along who elevates above what applies to the majority. They're the rare stones, the stones of a particular color and clarity eh?

They are Yoginis!

Like pdw.

She talks astrology. I listen. She's a practicing astrologer. Maybe even an astrologer's astrologer  ;)

All the best,

HVA

Offline James Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
Thanks Tim and Stacy.  I find those two questions fascinating, because not all astrologers are--nor should be--consulting astrologers.  And the general public also seems to be a bit at odds over what to expect from an astrologer...

Offline Stacy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
Absolutely!

Had an old friend who was obsessed with astrology--but really sucked at it to the point where he did more harm than good with his "readings".  He called himself an Astrologer and Paralegal when I knew more of each trade than him and still hesitated to so label myself. He even had business cards made up!

But then he was a truly deceptive and delusional Pisces Sun/12th house Neptune. Chart is amazing--in a scary way.

"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:47 AM »
"Often in our studies here, we have read the benefits of astrological counsel in the words of clients who have had the experience. They have learned to understand their growth, the problems they are managing, and how the process has helped them mature in life with others. Astrology is an extraordinary mirror of life development, and the astrologer a vitally important reactive witness to the reflections."   Noel Tyl

On page 196, the next to last page of the Astrology of Intimacy, Sexuality & Relationship, Noel eloquently closes out the volume which I just read for the second time. The most important book Noel ever wrote is probably whichever book of his you are reading at the moment, but this one is a gem. AND its important. The back cover remarks on El Maestro's mastery and of his analysis of Astrology's most popular subject. The front cover provides a clue in the subtitle as to the direction that will be taken: Insights To Wholeness.

I just discovered a paragraph I wrote on this subject sometime ago which I thought had been heaped on the fire so I am surprised to find still hiding on my computer...

John Burroughs, an important literary essayist on nature, lived and worked not far from where I begin each day. His observations concerning bees parallel what we ought to think about astrologers. People think that astrologers (bees) get astrology (honey) from the stars (flowers). But this is far from the truth.  Astrology is a product of the astrologer (bee); to paraphrase Burroughs, astrology is the nectar of the stars (flowers) with the astrologer (bee) added. The astrologer gets inspiration from the stars. Astrology "always reflects her environment and it reflects something her environment knows not of."* Something happens in the process of an astrological consultation where the astrologer "imparts to it her own quality"* as the symbols guide discussion.  The astrologer, by adding a drop of knowledge, helps the client corroborate symbol and experience within the many realms of possibility. Astrology done well is like honey made sweet by the interplay of the astrologer, the stars, and the client.

All the best,

HVA

*John Borroughs

Offline James Williams

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:33:13 AM »
Funny, that reminds me the words of Portuguese traditional astrologer, in a interview she gave in 2010:

"'Astrologers' who do not give consultationss and who do not practice any branch of Astrology are not true astrologers, they are only theoretical. It's like being a gardener and never having touched a plant ... or being a cook without ever having entered the kitchen. This 'fear of getting your hands dirty' with the practice of Astrology is in fact a snobbery." H.A.

She's the co-auther of the book "On the Heavenly Spheres: A Treatise on Traditional Astrology."

Offline James Williams

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:39:40 AM »
Have to disagree with H.A., as "theoretical" astrologers are still astrologers.  Take note of the many jyotishis in India who have done research into various dasha systems, and yet refused to give consultations.  These astrological gardeners have touched many plants and entered many kitchens of astrological research, and have also fathered many (astrological) children--without impregnating any woman...

;D

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »
But you know every once in a while a special person comes along who elevates above what applies to the majority. They're the rare stones, the stones of a particular color and clarity eh?

They are Yoginis!

True that.... Rishi's unite!

HVA

Offline James Williams

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »
The Nostalgic Lanes of C.S.Patel By R.G.Krishnan, USA.

I met late Mr. C.S.Patel for the first time in the year 1982 at Ahmadabad, India at an Astrological Convention, where we both were
honored with the award of “Jyotish Maha Mahopadhyaya” title. At the convention Mr. Patel’s speech made a big impact on me and I told him that after returning to Bombay I will meet him on a regular basis to learn more from him on finer points of astrology.

Thereafter a good friendship and a Guru/Shishya relationship developed between us. I was eager to learn more astrological knowledge from him and he was eager to part with his specialized knowledge. In the year 1982 onwards until 1988 I lived in Bombay and made it a point to meet him on every Sunday and in each meeting I learnt some thing new from him.

He had a good collection of books on astrology written by several eminent astrologers. Many of the books in his library were books which were out of print and were difficult to get. He had preserved these books carefully and would refer to them occasionally to make his point. He had a very good habit of recording brief notes at the back page of his books, which helped him to swiftly retrieve any information he needed. He continued this wonderful habit until his last breath.

In our weekly meetings we discussed mainly the verses from Nadi astrology. He used to maintain a big chart showing the position of transiting planets with dates on which these planets will be in retrogression and the dates in which they will be direct, dates on which they will enter each sign etc. He also kept notes of important events and the dates on which such events occurred along with the astrological reasoning.

During the year 1982 through 1984 he discussed with me the various verses from Chandra Kala Nadi (aka Devakeralam). One particular verse which he referred to ran thus; Lagnese Nidhanamsaste Moode Shashtagathe athava Shudhvadaya cha Maranam Bandhu Heene Mahitale Meaning that when the lord of the ascendant is posited in the Navamsa chart in the 8 th house with ref to the ascendant of the Rasi chart or is eclipsed by the rays of Sun or is posited in the Navamsa chart in the 6 th house with ref to the ascendant of the Rasi chart, then the native will die of starvation or on the bare ground with no blood relations by his side.

To make his point he used to refer to the chart of the great Mahatma Gandhi (chart given below). It will be seen from the above natal chart that Mahatma Gandhi had Libra Ascendant in the Rasi chart and that the lord of Ascendant Venus was adversely placed in Taurus sign in the Navamsa chart which was the 8 th house from Libra Ascendant of the Rasi chart. As we all know Mahatma Gandhi was shot dead on Jan 30 1948 at Delhi by some assailant. At the time of his sudden death no blood relations were near him as mentioned in the verse.

Around this time on Oct 31 1984 the then Prime minister of India Mrs. Indira Gandhi was assassinated and was shot dead by one assailant. It will be seen from her natal chart that she had Cancer Ascendant in her Rasi chart and lord of ascendant Moon was adversely placed in Aquarius sign in the Navamsa chart (8 th sign with ref to ascendant in her Rasi chart).

Later Mr. C.S.Patel had written an article on this verse elaborating the two natal charts discussed above in an article entitled ‘Search light on Navamsa’ which was published in the Astrological Magazine in Jan 1986. In the year 1985 while discussing some astrological points he referred to a verse on Mars which described Mars as “Vrshti Kruth Vrushti Hartah Cha” meaning that Mars is the planet which can cause rainfall and which can also deny rainfall. In Bombay we generally have Monsoon commencing in June which will last until
August. In that year in July Mars transited an enemy sign namely Gemini in July that year. Mr. Patel told me that the rainfall in July is likely to be much less although it is one of the monsoon months during which one expects heavy downpour. I was surprised to observe that first two weeks of July were full of dry days without rain which is rather unusual for a place like Bombay. He also mentioned that when Mars moves over to watery sign Cancer there will be heavy rains. This was also observed to be holding true. Incidentally during the current year 2008 in June, Mars transited cancer sign (a watery sign) and we had seen news paper reports stating that heavy rainfall occurred in Bombay in that period. In USA also we had heavy floods in Midwest & in Mississippi river in the month of June which was unusual.

In the year 1987 we had organized annual convention on Astrology under the banner of Indian Council of Astrological Sciences. Dr. B.V.Raman and other eminent astrologers like Mr.K.N.Rao, Justice Kapoor Ghanashyam Joshi, Parasmani, V.A.K Iyer, Raman Thakkar etc attended. The function was presided over by a Deputy Minister of Maharashtra Govt. Dr. Raman had personally appreciated Mr. Patel on the Reasearch in Nadi astrology by him and the articles published in Astrological Magazine of India. This convention gave opportunity to eminent astrologers like Mr. K.N.Rao to meet personally Mr.Patel & discuss with him the finer points in Nadi Astrology etc.

The convention went off very well and it gave immense pleasure and happiness to Mr.Patel. He had expressed to me then that this was one of the landmarks in his life.

;)

Offline pdw

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
Tim, you are so generous and them's such big shoes to fill.... I'm touched and *blushing*.

Like most here, I think I have a natural feel for astrology. But sometimes I feel more like a practicing wordsmith and astrology apprentice, hammering away to make something useful out of astrology. 

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
James,

At first when I read that I thought you were telling the story about how you had gone to the Astrological Convention in Ahmadabad. And that you were sharing how you met CS Patel. So I thought, hmmm, this explains a lot. But then I realized the story belongs to Krishnan. Still, it could'a been you.

Thanks for the narrative...

Excercise: Can you have a look at Benazir Bhutto's natal and compare it to her Rasi chart or Navamsa chart as whichever the case may be... I'm just curious.

The part about Mars in Cancer made me cry  :'(

But not really  :-X

HVA

Offline James Williams

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 06:24:58 AM »
Oh good heavens no, no way that was me, lol...

OK, here's Bhutto's attached natal and navamsha charts.  Notice that her natal lagna (Ascendant) is Libra, and ruler Venus is in the 6th House in her Navamsha chart.  This is in line with what was posted above...but with a variation...

Dry your eyes, Tim.  The monsoon season has yet to begin...

;D

Offline James Williams

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
...notice that in her D9 chart, Venus is with Ketu (explosives) in the 6th House of enemies, and aspected by the 8th lord Jupiter....as well as by the 3rd lord (car) from the 12th House...

"On December 27, 2007, Bhutto was getting into her car after a political rally when bullets let loose at close range. She was brought to a hospital and died on December 27, 2007 at about 6:16 PM local time in a Rawalpindi, Pakistan hospital. The assassin subsequently blew himself up, killing 20 others."