Author Topic: 18 Years Ago and 10 Days  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
18 Years Ago and 10 Days
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
http://noeltyl.com/notebook/000331n.html

TYL the namesake of this website in big Blue and Gold letters spells out quite a wide offering and varied astrological terrain for both the newly initiated and as well for hardcore astrology backpackers, who jump around from site to site, ready to explore .

Reading this particular essay from the Notes section got me thinking... about how far I have come in understanding my own vocational profile. The Thursday exercises were challenging but every once in a while a "hit" really inspired me to come back to the well.

I think I've come a ways to realize that the complicated vocational routings often are accompanied by complicated lives, that are too easily knocked off track. Complicated not in a "difficult" way or suggesting out sized struggle, not at all. Often those squares and Saturn or Pluto contacts indeed drive the native beyond rivals, pathological ambitions emerge, the routings appear clear, succinct and coherent. Without a clear and unambiguous path vagaries creep into the process; a "conspiracy of circumstances" invade life. We get off track.

In celebration of the 18th year anniversary of this remarkable essay, and of the forthcoming book published in 2005: VOCATIONS The New Midheaven Extension Process, I would like to ask what recollections you can share that highlight your own learning, experience, or utilization of the MHEP pioneered by our host?

If you have a personal example that truly turned your head around perhaps share that. All in all the "FULFILLMENT" of the chart potential in some ways is suggested by this particularly focused skill. Has Noel's MHEP process helped you specifically? A friend? A client?

Congratulations Noel on a wonderfully practical and useful insight into the horoscope and to a marvelous 18 years of learning and discovery. I marvel at the inspiration, creativity and power of the MHEP. Thank you for that and for so much else.

All the best,

HVA

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
Re: 18 Years Ago and 10 Days
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
Running the MHEP on my own chart illustrated the vocational successes that I've had.  Currently, I'm medically retired. 

I was born 8/15/50 in the Forest Park area of Portland, Oregon at 4:24 pm.  MC Libra..Venus (8/5,6,10)..Moon..Mercury. 
At any rate my MHEP touches all my Virgo planets and the 8th and 9th houses.  My most fulfilling work has been as a computer programmer in financial industries (banks and insurance companies).  The computer facet is shown by Mars/10th in aspect to Uranus.

I have found the MHEP to validate my use of Placidus houses.

Don Borkowski
True astrology is that which can be taught to other people who can then replicate the teachers' conclusions through their own effort.  --Don Borkowski in July 1983 issue of MERCURY HOUR

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:24:35 AM »
Hi Don,

Love that example... AND

Having a glance, I see the routing

MC r. Venus.Moon8.Mercury9*

Moon in 9
Neptune3-MC
Uranus2-MC

Stop

A beautiful way with words; precise, efficient, economical and uniquely crafted.

With Saturn conjunct Mercury I'm not surprised at your being facile with a pen and keyboard. I SEE writer and alternative health potentialities with the Moon in 9 ruling the 8th house AND feel this strongly whenever we discuss astrology. I know the Nodes do not really factor into the MHEP approach but I find it interesting that your Nodal Axis is on the AP. I hadn't looked at that before. And with Pluto E I half wonder if coding wasn't as conducive to connecting and collecting with the famous and powerful as it might have been. NN AP + Pluto E! Perhaps difficult energies to coalesce into your true love and passion.

I suspect your coding took a similar path as suggested by the writer in you. And wow! How much fun would you have with AI and Machine Learning. Glad you had some good years and fulfillment as a programmer. But I do wonder if that Uranus had a little too much to say about it all and had you veer toward computers just to pay the bills. And believe me I can relate, veering toward financials at the expense of astrology. To me your chart speaks pretty eloquently about the writer astrologer and is born out in our conversations and your writing. To me the MHEP says WRITER/ASTROLOGER.

All the best,

Tim

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
Hi Tim,

My Nodal axis at the AP does suggest (accurately) that I had power issues with my mother.  In case you didn't realize it, I am an astro-twin of Princess Anne of England.  And so she has her nodal axis at the AP, too.  And her mother is the Queen, for Heaven's sake--one can only imagine the issues they must deal with!

Don
True astrology is that which can be taught to other people who can then replicate the teachers' conclusions through their own effort.  --Don Borkowski in July 1983 issue of MERCURY HOUR

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Wow Don,

Thanks for that... hmmm... have to file that..

Can you write a bit about your writing career as an astrologer...? I think you had a book or two published. I guess I would like to know how you compare the process of writing astrology to coding. Which was more fulfilling all things being equal, aside from the pecuniary reward I mean. How did writing that book(s) make you feel? And or what was the experience like?

Maybe you hated it... I don't know...

Tim

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »
To HVA:

You have asked my some questions on two topics, and I’ll have to marshal myself to keep them straight.

Computer programming is much more than just coding.  Coding from specifications is like painting by numbers.  The final result might be attractive, but in the long run, it’s not particularly fulfilling.  In retrospect, the most satisfying jobs I’ve had were the ones that afforded me the most latitude for analysis.  For example, at the job I held from 1979 to 1987, my manager would often just mock up a ample report and tell me to make it happen.  Then I would negotiate with the requesting user to ascertain if I understood their desires.  I would then, through repeated preliminary coding and testing focus in on a finished product.

In 1975, my first astrology teacher, Press Roberts, LPN, invited me to help him with his second book (my first), Signs and Parts in Plain English..  Really, I just had to translate Press’s unsophisticated Oklahoman dialect into more formal English.  For example, “was you borned” became “were you born”.  Raw as it was, I was (and still am) proud of that book.

From 1979 to 2000, I was a very active participant in Edith Custer’s Mercury Hour, which was a wide-open hard-copy forum.  I made many friends and enemies both from that venue, including Joan McEvers.

In 1989, I attended the annual NORWAC conference.  There I met Noel Tyl and Robert Hand in person, almost simultaneously.  About an hour later, I finally met Joan McEvers in person.
Insofar as Joan really liked my contributions to Mercury Hour, she invited me to participate in her next project which became Planets: the Astrological Tools.  Ten different astrologers got to pick a planet and write about it.  I chose Jupiter. For the most part, my research was original.  (If you’d like to know why I selected Jupiter, just look at my chart.)  Mostly, I received positive feedback on this book.

Don Borkowski
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:07:02 PM by Don Borkowski »

Offline Robynne

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »
Thankyou Don,

That's an interesting bit of history there, and the fact that you have been in astrological fields for such a long time is definitely worthy of respect.

Can definitely see that with Jupiter ruling your ascendant and also placed in the traditional sign it co rules in Pisces in the 3rd would lean towards writing about the state of Jupiter.

For myself I find that I can find humour in the strangest little everyday occurances that pass my way, all the little human foibles in life and sometimes laugh at inappropriate times.  ;D

My burning question would be;

Did you speak correct English because your parents were of Russian descent and English was a second language?

Most of the people I know who are of Russian or South African ancestry sound as if they speak very formal English but it's because English was learnt as a second language, so you don't see or hear the slang present in their speech.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:35:34 AM by Robynne »
~A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words~

Offline James Williams

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:13:16 AM »
In case you didn't realize it, I am an astro-twin of Princess Anne of England. 

Hmmm, I think that beats my astro-twins, Princess Lauren and Prince Antonio!  ;D
"Time is a trick, a vast illusion...Yet there is a plan behind appearances that does not change. The script is written. For we but see the journey from the point at which it ended, looking back on it, imagining we make it once again; reviewing mentally what has gone by"  (Jesus).

Offline James Williams

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 04:19:01 AM »
...but I'd still take them over Princess Anne...any day of the week!  ;D
"Time is a trick, a vast illusion...Yet there is a plan behind appearances that does not change. The script is written. For we but see the journey from the point at which it ended, looking back on it, imagining we make it once again; reviewing mentally what has gone by"  (Jesus).

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
Robynne~
Actually, my parents were very different, culturally.  Only my father had any Russian heritage.  He was born in Odessa, Ukraine in 1909--when they still had a tsar.  He spoke with what I call a Virgo accent.  He would favor pronunciations that were unpopular, archaic, or just plain odd, provided he thought they were correct.  My mother had a well-mixed Northern European heritage--mostly German and Scottish.  She was from Ohio; she had some rather different word choices that I suspect were regional.  I try to speak good English because I don't like to appear like an ignoramus.

Thank you for your kind words.  I took up the study of astrology in 1971, and I'll still meet people who look down on me because they took up astrology in the 1960s.

Don Borkowski

Offline Robynne

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
Thankyou again Don,

That was a very clear and concise synopsis.

I had your chart filed using a Koch chart which placed Mars in the 11th house rather than the 10th. I'll correct that when I have my computer operating again.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:14:15 AM by Robynne »
~A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words~

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Thanks, Robynne.

I don't use Koch houses for a couple of reasons.  First, they intercept my Virgo placements.  If people meet me before they see my chart, they feel I'm a Virgo because my Virgo side is so potent.  Second, I know my Mars is in the 10th house.  By counting houses, the 10th is the 12th dynamic of the 11th.  My Mars in the 10th is often activated when something negative happens to one of my friends.

If I see a chart that someone has presented in a quadrant system, it is no trouble converting it to Placidus.  It's a lot more work to reverse-engineer an equal house chart.

All my best,

Don

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 08:40:09 AM »
Hi HVA. 

I, for one, as is the case of so many other astrological “truths” I have learned from Noel, am very grateful for the Midheaven process.  For a long time, especially while Noel was putting up his exercises here for us to try, I felt constrained and feared failing the test each time, even though Noel would say things like “Well, I’m sure you would have gotten it right if this client were sitting in front of you”.  Ha, he wasn’t as kind in the lessons of the Master’s Course, but I learned, I learned. 

Today I am not afraid of being wrong because I know how to get it right.  It does not take me long to let a chart “sing” to me.  I don’t always need to follow the routing of the dispositor line from the MC ruler, though that often is so important.  As Noel says in his book, there are stand-outs in the chart which can take over, such as an oriental planet which echoes loudly throughout the chart, or if there are planets on the angles, especially of course the MC or IC, but sometimes in square to them.  Planets on the ASC-DSC, especially if the MC suggests artistry, cannot be ignored, because there is some need for performance involved.

There is one thing which I use for professional guidance which Noel does not, and that is the Moon Nodal axis.  To me, that axis is more important than Noel has taught, and it represents (to me) our bottom line need in life, showing where we need to base our position in life, and what are the circumstances which will (and need to) surround us in life in order for us to even be here.  If there is a planet involved in 4th harmonic relation to it (and yes, it suggests what the mother imparted to us), that planet will have to be expressed as a base requirement, so it will naturally, along with the houses of the axis, be in alliance with our career.  It has given me much confirmation on where I go with the MHEP.

I cannot give one example or say when I found the MHEP useful,but it just one day finally was easy, and I do know it is only Noel who taught me how to use it.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:41:57 AM by Barbara Ybarra »

Offline Robynne

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
Tim,

I must admit, for myself, that I have been able to see more clearly the Pluto -  Mercury - Uranus routing loop, and explore that through different work placements, mostly Market Research and Surveying, and applying interviewing techniques, although within a limited framework and a set base of questions.

It has certainly highlighted to me, the difference between scripted and impromptu speech, which has been quite a lifetime theme.

Maybe working at Subway is not the fullest expression of my chart, but as you age you realise that sometimes compromises have to be made. Plus, the job market can be quite biased against over fifties, it's a youth culture now.

😀

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »
In the earlier days of the evolution of the MHEP, Noel used to include the closest aspect as a significant factor in ascertaining vocational needs.  Does anyone know why he quit using that component?  I can only say that insofar as my closest aspect is Mercury conjunct Saturn, it sure fits my vocational needs.

Don Borkowski