Author Topic: Through the Glasser Brightly  (Read 4957 times)

Offline James Williams

Through the Glasser Brightly
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:57:10 AM »
http://www.noeltyl.com/insights/060731.html

Just read Glasser's last book before he died, and it's a beauty.  I cannot recommend his books strongly enough...they integrate extremely well with Noel's approach...

https://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Your-Life-Choice-Theory/dp/1938908325/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523530511&sr=8-5&keywords=william+glasser

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
Re: Through the Glasser Brightly
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
Through a Glass Darkly

Where the logical function actively intervenes, it alters what is given and causes it to depart from reality. We cannot even describe the elementary processes of the psyche without at every step meeting this disturbing - or shall we say helpful? - factor. As soon as sensation has entered the sphere of the psyche, it is drawn into the whirlpool of the logical processes. The psyche quite of its own accord alters both what is given and presented. Two things are to be distinguished in this process: First, the actual forms in which this change takes place; and secondly, the products obtained from the original material by this change.

The organized activity of the logical function draws into itself all the sensations and constructs of an inner world of its own, which progressively departs from reality but yet at certain points still retains so intimate a connection with it that transitions from one to the other continually take place and we hardly notice that we are acting on a double stage - our own inner world (which , of course, we objectify as the world of sense-perception) and also an entirely different and external world.

Hans Vaihinger, Die Philosophie des Als Ob, 1911 pp 159-160

The title given to this essay is no doubt a reference to Vaihinger's title of the chapter in his book The Philosophy As If. I've read this paragraph a thousand times and each time come away with a deeper appreciation of our own volition in matters of choice. And is it simply that easy that we decide that our choice mattes? Or not? To act "as if" the choice to act belongs to us is simply the inverse of "deciding" that we have no choice. And if we DO NOT decide, then WHO DECIDES?

When discussing change and transitioning in advance of promising/portentous measurements it may only be a fiction to "believe" we have a choice in the matter, BUT then again it may only be fantasy to "think" we do not. So if my model of the world is pure fantasy anyway, at least in terms of how I replicate that reality, then why not pull all the stops and make a new map that reflects the full force of my imagination?

I'm not sure if this is the most important essay Noel ever wrote James, but I think it is probably ranked very near the top. Thank you for the repost AND for the link to Glasser's work.

HVA

Offline Antonio

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:48 AM »
Through a Lab Glass

Kushner's comforting understandings suggest that "the best answer I know is the reminder that Man today is only the latest stage in a long, slow evolutionary life evolved from the simpler to the more complex, we retained and inherited some of the weaknesses of those earlier forms." [...] Kushner suggests that the process of natural selection is being upset by modern technology" S&C pag.629, Noel Tyl

A graduate of Astronomy with a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard, Adam Kampff examines the tiniest signs of the brain, especially looking for answers about the origin of the reality models we are forming.

"Kampff believes that one day we will be able to fully control emotional states, such as avoiding jealousy. 'It would be very similar, I believe, to have control over our muscles'".

Extracted from pag.7 (last page):

"Wouldn't it be great to know how to avoid being jealous? Or feel, yes, but be truly able to decide how to deal with what we are feeling? It would be very similar, I believe, to have control over our muscles. I would say that Western religions or Buddhism in particular have come to refer to this issue ... except that for not being neuroscientists have stopped at concepts such as calm or detachment --- deep down, strategies to not let the emotions control what we think. [...] I can imagine a human society that has finally mastered its latest stubbornness - and then we can begin to do truly incredible things. My only fear is for us to spoil everything before we get there. Because it will happen."

Full interview (auto-translated, except for minor corrections):
https://tinyurl.com/Adam-Kampff-interview

ps: I noticed that in the original publication some parts of the text were repeated! Mercury Rx? The correction of the full text and its translation is completed [see last edit] and the pdf link has been updated.

Leonardo da Vinci's real body of work was anatomy, claims new exhibition:
"What this exhibition shows is that Leonardo was primarily a scientist, at least for the latter part of his life, who executed a few paintings on the side."

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/apr/30/leonardo-da-vinci-anatomy-exhibition
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:03:22 AM by Antonio »

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:04:57 AM »

Offline James Williams

"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline Robynne

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 02:01:28 PM »
Thank you Jim. Exactly!

I've had my parenting style questioned by older generations of parents, but believe if you force compliance you only breed resentment, whereas respect fosters respect. And a good laugh often helps too. 😉
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'