Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain  (Read 16710 times)

Offline Pamela Young

Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
Thank you, James!  It's fascinating about the maraka houses.  I agree with you, on a totally different basis, that transiting Mars and the Sun were the triggers.  The (Mean) nodes were the other most important thing, I think.  I'm going to have to contemplate your posts for a while to take in all the details, as Vedic astrology is not my area; will be back later.

Here's the link to the No Reservations episode where he had his Vedic chart done; I finally got it to work.  The section showing his consultation with the Vedic astrologer is about 26 minutes in:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bdbuz
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:09:31 AM by Pamela Young »

Offline Pamela Young

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
Interesting.  With the time of 8:35 a.m., Bourdain's tropical chart has 0º29' Taurus on the MC, and transiting Uranus was at 1º09' Taurus on June 8.  His natal Uranus was at 0º49' Leo in the 12th house, thus squaring his MC.  And, his secondary progressed Moon was at 0º01' Taurus on June 8, thus squaring his natal 12th-house Uranus and conjoining both his natal MC and transiting Uranus.  All this against the recent backdrop of transiting Uranus square his natal Moon, and transiting Saturn opposing his natal Sun, just for good measure; Uranus and Saturn are the modern and traditional rulers, respectively, of his 7th house of relationships.  Meanwhile, his progressed MC was conjunct his natal Venus (love, relationships), and his progressed IC was conjunct his vertex, for what that's worth.  Also, with the time of 8:35 a.m., his natal 8th-house Mars at 11º25' Pisces (not a strong sign for that planet) is quincunx his Ascendant. 

Poor, poor guy.  He seems to have been a very sweet, gentle soul, first appearances notwithstanding.  It's such a shame.  I still think that his relationship with Asia Argento, or rather the impending end of it, as it seemed to him, was what pushed him over the edge.

The following article shows the picture Asia Argento posted of herself wearing the black t-shirt:

https://people.com/food/asia-argento-cryptic-message-before-anthony-bourdain-suicide/

In this article friends of Anthony's discuss how they were a little concerned about the fact that Anthony was so head over heels about Asia, like a teenager:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5836947/Friends-feared-Anthony-Bourdain-crazy-love-Asia-Argento.html

In this article one of the reporters who photographed Asia with an apparent new boyfriend says he's sorry, and wouldn't have done it if he'd known it would push someone over the edge to suicide, assuming that's what happened:

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/12/paparazzo-who-snapped-asia-argento-with-french-reporter-regrets-shots/

Offline pdw

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »
Pamela and James, thanks for sharing your detective work and interpretations. Lots to consider...

The 8:35AM time sure maximizes Uranian tension in his chart - with transiting Uranus (1 Taurus) at his MC (0 Taurus) and squaring his natal Uranus-Moon opposition (at 1 Leo and 29 Capricorn, respectively). I think this suggests some kind of extraordinary focus on personally changing, liberating, disrupting his material status quo and physical ties (Taurus MC) to the future (Uranus).

His Capricorn Moon, an earth singleton in the health-oriented 6th House, rules his Cancer 12th House (where feelings, fears, and insecurities are collected and 'guarded' by the Moon, perhaps) - a setup which does make me wonder if he was experiencing private fears or concerns related to an illness or health issue.

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
"I think in life they give too much to some people and nothing to everybody else," Bourdain once said and further stated, "but without work we are nothing."

That quote and his grueling schedule had me almost place the Moon in the 6th house. But I opted for the 3rd house so the signs I placed on the angle were off but the degrees I landed on were eerily close.

Thanks for the update time of birth...

There are some excellent posts about suicide on this Forum. Those posts would be excellent reading and Schneidman's work which James referenced is probably essential.

Both Asia and Anthony suffered from depression. We might be able to identify and describe triggers but not necessarily 'causes.' Suicide is now the leading cause of death between 15 to 49 and in the past decade over 400,000 Americans have taken their own lives: more than the number of people killed in WWII and the Korean War combined.

Elevated psych-ache plus constricted perceptions of life's options and constant thanatopholic thought = SUICIDE

Here in Bourdain's chart the mindset is suggested to suffer under the duress of needing to always think strategically, apparently putting himself under pressure. Mercury rules the third and was quindecile Saturn. Having Neptune in the neighborhood I think complicated matters for him. His mind was at war and probably wouldn't let him rest. The Moon ruling the 12th, is square Neptune. He must have been an extremely emotional individual underneath his proud peripatetic persona. He couldn't work long enough or in enough places to escape his demons.

HVA

Offline James Williams

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
It's important to remember here that although it appears Bourdain told the village astrologer that he was born at 8:35 AM, we don't know if he was 100 percent sure, or 50 percent sure, 20 percent sure, etc.  But it's the best we currently have to go on, without his birth certificate...and both Western and Eastern systems seem to be corroborating that 8:35 AM time...
"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline James Williams

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
In Astrological Timing of Critical Illness, Noel has a section comprised of suicidal significators via relevant case studies, so if anyone has the time and the inclination, it probably would be rewarding to see if Bourdain's 8:35 AM chart contains some of those significators...
"There is no step along the road that anyone takes by chance. It has already been taken by him, although he has not yet embarked on it. For time but seems to go in one direction. We undertake a journey that is over. Yet it seems to have a future still unknown to us." "  (Jesus).

Offline James Williams

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
In watching that video with his Jyotish session with Sunil, I was especially struck by his last comment to them, "This seems to be a place of great happiness."  It was like he was wistfully wanting that so much for himself...

Emotional happiness is seen in one's Jyotisha birth chart via 4th House significators.  He has no planets in his 4th, but the ruler, Venus, is in his 12th, retrograde, and the 12th is known as the house of expenditure and loss...so loss of happiness.  This is corroborated by its close conjunction with Sun, hence combust.

The 12th House in one's Jyotish chart is also known as the house of bed pleasures, or the pleasure (or lack thereof) that one receives from sex.  Notice also that in his Western chart, that his 5th and 8th House significators are under significant developmental tension...

If questioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have said something like, "I don't receive all the sexual pleasure I would like because I travel and am away from home so damn much."

Offline James Williams

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 11:57:55 PM »
Hi Dean, yes I cringed when I heard that, but I hear it's not too uncommon among native Indian astrologers, unfortunately.  The art of consultation is not their specialty...it is important for us non-native Indians to remember that oftentimes these "village" astrologers were taught the craft by their father or other relative, and passed down secretly, sometimes for generations and even centuries.  Now this guy Sunil was located in a large populated tourist city, and yet he also was the priest of a local ashram, which is somewhat unusual for a jyotishi.

Here's what James Braha wrote in one of his books, which also helps us native Westerners to better understand the mindset and techniques of the historical jyotishi in India...

"Generally, a Hindu astrology reading given by an Indian...will be rather short and to the point.  The reading may consist of five or six extremely specific predictions, some of which will be dramatically accurate, and some of which fail completely...The astrologer usually describes some events and circumstances of your previous years.  But there is very little about who you are...It amounts to the Indians' approach to astrology, as well as their experiences of life.  For an Indian, the point of astrology is to find out what is fated, what has been 'determined' by one's past karma...You also have to remember that Indians absolutely expect the astrologer to be accurate in making specific predictions.  So the astrologer's consciousness is entirely focused on that task...Focusing completely on predictions makes it very hard for a Hindu astrologer to talk about a horoscope for any length of time...Generally, though, if you talk to five or ten Indians who have visited local astrologers, they'll tell story after story about important astrological predictions that came about exactly as the astrologer promised...If you want a more thorough Jyotish reading, you're generally better off getting it from a Westerner.  You'll likely receive more information, and...the material will be more fleshed out.  You will almost certainly, however, not be told that on the second Thursday in October, your mother is going to break her leg" (from pages 176-179 in The Art and Practice of Ancient Hindu Astrology: Nine Intimate Sessions Between Teacher and Student).

Offline James Williams

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
Two quotes by Carl Jung seem to me to be extremely relevant as to why Bourdain took his life...

· I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life. They seek position, marriage, reputation, outward success of money, and remain unhappy and neurotic even when they have attained what they were seeking. Such people are usually confined within too narrow a spiritual horizon. Their life has not sufficient content, sufficient meaning.

· I have treated many hundreds of patients. Among those in the second half of life - that is to say, over 35 - there has not been one whose problem in the last resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life.

I am reminded that the 7th House is also the 4th House from the 4th House...his emotional unhappiness, coupled with an eclipse of his ability to discern and discriminate properly and functionally, left him with what seemed no viable options in order to continue marching on...if he had been urged to follow a "spiritual" path, he would have had a much better chance of sticking around...

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Thank you to Pamela and James for finding that birth time! 

As said, it's not proof, yet I think that Bourdain would have had enough curiosity and training (like respect for an original recipe) that he would come to an astrologer only with the correct time.  And yet, it still might be a few minutes off.  It is suspicious that both Uranus and the progressed Moon were at 0 Taurus together if it was not on an angle.  On the other hand, that point was square to his natal Uranus which certainly ruled his 7th house if born at that time.  It requires more detective work, since we really don't know if Bourdain was crushed about a disappointed love affair or if he knew about a terminal illness, or if, indeed, he had set himself a marker in time to have become a household name, and it didn't happen (enough).  I'm trying to give credit to the "poor Anthony and his broken heart" story, but I've heard some male nastiness come from his mouth at times that makes me think he was made of tougher nails than that.  But who knows?  Thanks for the better time.

Everybody here has such important astrological comments.  PDW, when you mentioned the Moon being the 12th ruler, you made me notice that the Moon is the yod or midpoint of the Venus/Jupiter-Pluto.  Also, Venus is the yod (or midpoint) of the Moon-Saturn sextile.  All of those outer planets are involved with Venus and the Moon, one way or another, and all triggered by transits lately.  The one that I want to understand would be the solar arc of Jupiter to Neptune.  5th house ruler to 8th house ruler.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:06:26 PM by Barbara Ybarra »

Offline James Williams

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Barbara, I tend to agree, I don't think it was the behavior of Argento that drove him to suicide...it was deeper than that.  It was the realization that both career and relationships and money and fame, etc., will not provide the type of lasting happiness that he was desperately missing and searching for throughout life...he saw and felt glimpses of it, such as at that ashram, but never came to the realization that true and lasting happiness is found within, not without.

Again, I am struck by the timing of transiting Mars at the time he took his life.  It was averaging around 15 minutes of movement per day, leading up to the 8th, and on the morning of the 8th it was exactly conjunct--to the minute--to the transiting True South Node.  It was like a detonator set to go off when they met...

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
That is a valid and excellent description of it, James.  I wondered about that Mars with the Moon Nodes.  Like a message to us or something.

Offline James Williams

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
Barbara, I've seen so many of these "matchings" over the years now, that I've come to expect them in cases such as these--especially when the Nodes are involved.  And it could be that Mars rules his 10th House in his Western chart, with Taurus intercepted.  But with transiting Mars and transiting Uranus so prominent here at the time of his transition, "impulsive" suicide certainly would fit the symbolism...

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
When sacred Night sweeps heavenward, she takes
the glad, the winsome day, and folding it,
rolls up its golden carpet that had been
spread over an abysmal pit.
Gone vision-like is the eternal world,
and man, a homeless orphan, has to face,
in utter helplessness, naked, alone,
the blackness of immeasurable space.
Upon himself he has to lean; with mind
abolished, thought unfathered, in the dim
depths of his soul he sinks, for nothing comes
from outside to support or limit him.
All life and brightness seem an ancient dream-
while in the substance of the night,
unravelled, alien, he now perceives
a fateful something that is his by right.

Fydor Tyutchev

At the time it was discovered that Anthony Bourdain had taken his own life:

Mercury3-Saturn6-Mars9=Asc

VenusMC-3=Jupiter5
Jupiter5=Neptune8-9

He suffered from depression. Natal Saturn retrograde wasn't your vanilla version of the Saturn Retrograde Phenomenology. Saturn was square Jupiter-Pluto AND quindicile Mercury (ruler of the third if the time fits...) And I think Dean hits the nail on the head when he suggests that the chart is "fitting". (And we'll never really know to echo Barb and James) Still, one of the great story tellers of modern times "chose" Mercury=Asc to deliver his final message. FITTING. Mercury ruler of the third suggests a mindset in tumult perhaps; "thought unfathered."

"The blackness of immeasurable space" overwhelmed his potential to see things as they are; phainesthai is the potential of all things to glow and shimmer in divine reflection, to "shine forth" in the words of Jordan Peterson. But these potentials were obscured by 'other worldly' pursuits to Parts Unknown. In other words, in his obsession to explore the world and to tell the story of the other he still could not find his fill 'from outside to support him.' I think James' comment about his not having a sustainable spiritual connection is spot on. Finding our "bliss" as Joseph Campbell called it is within for sure, however, there is a prerequisite that we connect ourselves to the Earth through a certain amount of narrowing and extreme effort to achieve mastery at something in the world. That is we need to go through the lived experience that connects us to that Source and I think that Bourdain may have in fact come close to this experience to some degree and perhaps often... but as James' mentions Bourdain's "glimpses" of this experience must have made that fact all the more difficult for him in knowing that the experience was one that he could not sustain. Like trying to catch the "Dragon Fly" that "dark genie" as Bourdain called it, caught up with him, the same 'dark genie' that seduced him into drug addiction in the first place. And we know that sometimes the most spiritually inclined are also the most vulnerable.

I think that the astrology is eloquent in the 'timed' chart we have. Especially when taking measure of the Solar Arcs. The Vedic Mythological story of the PaNis stealing the cows (cow=light/rays in Sanskrit) from the gods comes to mind. Tyutchev captures and contains the essence of the message that the Rishis were trying to convey, but I think perhaps the story is not merely one for the world at large, and it is not merely a story for the cosmos either. It is also a very personal and individual story. We all have our RasA (river/emotions) to cross. And our journey at one time or another brings us face to face with our demons (the brothers Vritra and Vala in the Myth and Vala's minions the dreaded PaNis, hoarders of the cows, obstruction of Truth and blockers of light). Even though Anthony was "recovered" he was still in effect "chasing dragons" trying to duplicate the rush and feeling of contentment he got from that first bag of heroin on Rivington Street.

In 1980, Bourdain copped his first bag of Heroin and then used everyday (which sounds so Scorpionic and the reason I began with Scorpio on the Ascendant). Solar Arc pictures on his his 24th birthday:

SunAsc=Neptune8-9

Nodal Axis=VenusMC-3

Mars9=Sun

Combating issues of identity, ambivalence, and belonging. Drugs and creative involvement with others, easily piqued and agitated, possibly too rajasic and rambunctious.

Pierre Bourdain, Anthony's father, died around April 28, 1987

SA VenusMC opposed the Moon12 and was square Neptune. Significantly, SA Moon moved to oppose Jupiter and square Saturn, while SA Saturn moved into a quindecile aspect with natal Mercury. Saturn’s arc from its natal position moved exactly 30 degrees, quindecile to Mercury and so in some sense reflects the mirrored circumstance of his natal Saturn in terms of how he needed to think and perhaps suggests something about his response to learning of his father's death, separating from his paternal influence and perhaps also creating distance with his brother Chris. Solar Arc Neptune too activates the ominous Saturn square Pluto-Jupiter. The overall picture of these arcs in tandem with the current transits of that time suggest tremendous emotional release AND perhaps a draining of personal power. BUT this was also the time period where Anthony stopped using heroin. In recovery speak, "he hit bottom."

He Married Putkowski with SA Venus opposed the Moon and square Neptune, while SA Uranus was exact to natal Jupiter. They would divorce 20 years later in 2005: SA Mars opposite Neptune and square the Moon. Both SA Saturn and SA Neptune were quindecile natal Mercury and transiting Uranus was exact on natal Mars. Anthony called his separation and divorce from Putkoski the great betrayal.

Anthony’s natal Mars, Mercury and Neptune appear to be sensitive degrees but the 27th degree of Scorpio seems especially sensitive both by degree and by reference of transiting Saturn and as well by Saturn’s Arc. The incident of his suicide appeared to be no exception to both his sensitivity and vulnerability to the enormous pressures of the night. Maybe that is the degree I saw projected from his face even when he smiled. We might be able to fine tune this chart with more accurate timing of events in his life. In his bio he stated that a most significant early event occurred when he was @10 and went to France to visit relatives. The narrative most commonly told is how this trip planted a seed of culinary curiosity that would not die. But it is also the same area of France where his father lost his own father, Anthony's grandfather, at the young and impressionable age of 9. His father would over compensate. Attend Yale and become a high level music executive in Manhattan. Anthony was no slouch academically, he got into Vassar. But he must have been a disappointment to his father. Bourdain dropped out of Vassar. And even then he was a writer; writing reports for students who would pay him cash so that he could buy drugs. His father surely expressed his disappointment and let him know in no uncertain terms. And so, Anthony had to cut his own path, so much so that many year later after divorcing his first wife, he and his girlfriend Busia had matching chef's knife tattoos etched onto each other while on vacation. That was 2005. But the relationship cooled 10 years in and 9 years after his daughter was born in 2007. Anthony's schedule didn't slow and the strain on the marriage forced their relationship to bend and "open". He met Asia and fell hard in love, BUT at the start of that relationship it was Asia who was severely depressed. Interestingly, Anthony became the hero-in her distress but when the glass slippers slipped off, she was either unaware of his suffering or was simply not able to provide that same level of support back to him in return.

In one version of the Myth of Panis, the gods send the Sun-Bird to recover the stolen cows. But SuparNa (the Eagle or Sun-Bird) accepts a "bargain" from the Panis and returns empty handed. The gods are furious and "strangle" the Sun-Bird until curd spits out, revealing his betrayal. Anthony Bourdain commited suicide by hanging and strangling himself to death with the belt from his hotel bathrobe. "... a fateful something that is his by right."

HVA

P.S. And so would his decision to live be "a fateful something that is his by right." However, that something would require that the cows (light) come home.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:14:10 AM by Hudson Valley Astrologer »

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
Thank you, Tim, for posting this.  You are such a beautiful writer.  You must save this and expound on it later, go slower with it.  Publish your work someday.  It was difficult for me to read it even.  I don't know why I identified with Bourdain so much, that it bothered me so much that he killed himself.  Over the years there was some part of him which I hated, but I allowed him that because I felt his overall Neptunian perspective on things was important and right, and so it makes sense that his natal Neptune would be there at his IC.  Maybe my emotional involvement was because his Neptune is so close to my Sun degree, and his Saturn is so close to my Ascendant that I could feel his need to get to the bottom of things which he held tight within himself.  It's funny I think how when we get emotionally involved we lose that objective take on things that make us good astrologers.  It's the same when I try to look at the charts of my children and my brother, I don't see as clearly as I do with people I don't know very well.  I try, but then I lose it.