Author Topic: The YOD  (Read 55527 times)

Offline Stacy

The YOD
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »
Forum,

As discussed briefly in another thread, please enjoy some information on Saturn as apex planet in the YOD configuration, as taken from Dynamics of Aspect Analysis by Bill Tierney.

"Apex Saturn can be considered a very karmic Yod, with Saturn giving more support to this configuration's characteristic "fated" undertone. It indicates that both proper timing and inner naturity are crucial determinants regarding the individual's readiness to approach this turning-point, and that he would probably fail miserably if he attempted to unwisely force such a new direction before all necessary qualities have ripened."

"The two quincunxes to Saturn denote that the individual initially feels very inadequate, insignificant, and may be painfully aware of any deficiencies he has (economic as well as psychological). However, due to the corrective nature of the quincunx plus Saturn's natural drive to overcome obstacles, this Yod is very well suited to undergo whatever is required in terms of reorganization in order to insure stability and efficient functioning in the world."

And "Fateful here is not meant to imply tragic doom, but it can denote increasing frustration, all self-induced, resulting in a sense of failure and personal despair. It seems reasonable to assume that this Yod could be triggered off sometime during the individual's 28-30th birthday, when he also experiences his first Saturn Return."

Od'd: I chose these excerpts in particular because I witnessed this energy firsthand in an ex-boyfriend's chart. Tierney could have written it with him in mind!!

Hope you find it of interest.

Stacy

"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

Lura

Re: The YOD
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Stacy,

I did take much away from your timing of this 'yod' post.  I have a Leo Moon, but this is beyond anything I've experienced as of late.

Proper timing, inner natural drive, reorganizing for stability, for appeal, for healing?

personal example:   just now, my husband & I read an obit on line to see if it was the same former boyfriend of mine killed in a motorcycle accident yesterday.  No, but he was born on my birthday, one year earlier, mother's maiden name the same as a name you mentioned in your post, and the Reverend's name, another repeat.  I don't know what I'm tapping into.  There is more confirmation of those 'fated undertones' of which you speak.  Bringing in the Sabians and my MH.

Thanks for being there with me.  Please believe.  I have enough Saturn.  And tr. Moon conjunct my natal Moon.

Thank you for helping others.

Offline Stacy

Re: The YOD / the inconjunct
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
reorganizing for stability, for appeal, for healing?

Lura,

In regards to healing, for you another quote from Tierney: "...the quincunx is an internalizing aspect (earth-water emphasis), disturbances turn inward, interfering with the wellbeing of both body and soul (quincunxes are noted for their proclivity for somatic and mental problems of a draining, devitalizing nature)."

And, Noel mentions this aspect in Astrological Timing of Critical Illness, though it's not just about health.

I have 2 inconjuncts in my chart, and yes, the solution is balance and "reorganizing for stability".

So glad you got something from this.

Stacy :)
"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

Lura

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
Stacy,

yes, there is frustration, the yod is a very fine dot of concentrated divine energy.  I refreshed a little grammar of the yod.  Letters are the building blocks of creation, but without the yod (beginning and end) there would be no vitality.  A hook and a doorway make up the signature.  It's suspended.

Yod = 10, completion/order

either a powerful conduit/deeply felt block

midpoint is also powerful in realization.

Golden Yod is extremely creative and frequently linked with Neptune (bi-quintile linked to two others separated by quintiles)

it is mysterious

Lura

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:23:02 AM »
Hi Stacy,

Demetra George on yod:

"In the Tarot, Vesta corresponds to the Hermit card, also Virgo ruled, who symbolizes ascetic retreat.  The Hermit also corresponds to the root letter of the Hebrew alphabet known as the yod.

The yod is traditionally depicted as a luminous flame, the very flame that was tended to by the vestal priestesses."

Astrological significance:  psychic/spiritual development, discover other ways of expression of a powerful and relentless force, such as sacrificing personal for a a deeper relationship with one's own soul."

Offline Stacy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:58:37 AM »
Astrological significance:  psychic/spiritual development, discover other ways of expression of a powerful and relentless force, such as sacrificing personal for a a deeper relationship with one's own soul."

Personally, I can see "discover other ways of expression of a powerful and relentless force..." in one component of the Yod (the quincunx).  And BTW, "Golden Yod"? That's a new one to me. Can you elaborate on its significance? Where did you learn of it?

Thanks, Lura!

Stacy

Lura

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
Golden yod, when thinking of Tibet and her tenuous relationship with China, the tug of Saturn-Uranus, limited freedom, fated undertones...twinged for me personally.

Frequently linked with Neptune?  spiritual release

my Ceres bq Vertex, had me thinking of my husband and his Mom.  A Scorpion-Taurean blend, she didn't know what to do with a baby, so every time he cried, she fed him.  He grew to be a very heavy baby who couldn't move.  However, he was practically raised by his Aquarian grandmother, so he was always thin as I knew him.

George & Block comment on the symbiotic nature of parent-child, both in transference of subiliminal hopes, wishes, dreams, but also worries, anxieties...conveyed through the emotional bond, water, the bloodstream.  Dependency.  A conduit for vision, whose?

Tim's lady, her Ascendant is my husband's Mercury, and Blain's sabian assist, reveals the hard cases, of diamond, cut, not to be cut, look of stoic face, wise fool, they GOT GAME!  How does a child learn this?

I think his progressed Piscean Moon is driving his malaise, and the Neptune trio with a curved horizon is making clarity difficult, square his Moon-Vertex, but the Mermaid oppositon is on it!  with Mr. Assisi Q MH.

golden? not so sure, but love has a language of its own too.

ps.  what's difficult is how to keep mom-n-law in loop, without causing unnecessary concern?  any experience?

Lura

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:23:51 PM »
Stacy,

I think you might be able to see the yod activity in H.C.'s chart

Hans Christian Andersen
April 2, 1805
Odense, Denmark
1:00 AM  (astrotheme)

Asc. 18 Sagittarius

Offline Sodelle

• Planetways
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »
My teacher, Frances McEvoy, wrote a nice little book on Yods and Quincunxes, available through NCGR.

I would see the Saturn at Yod apex as a real manifest in the world in terms of presence, visibility, achievement. 

Lura

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »
Thanks Sodelle, I will look into it.

Haidith, the root of the Yod.  Desire at the heart of matter; it's minute point -- Dewpoint.

Offline Stephen

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:13:02 AM »
Hiya Kids!

I was sure that some one would have interjected this by now, but since no one has, let me say "a Yod is first and possibly foremost A Midpoint Picture!"  Not to take anything away from the those who seem to be drawn to the "finger of God" concept or anyone who subscribes to "karmic astrology."  But a planet or point directly between two others by hard aspect is fundamentally at a Midpoint!  Same as a square is a square.

Again, not to take any fun out of it because in my family the Yod discussions have served up some extraordinary entertainment and even some enlightenment!  But if you start with the midpoint descriptions that Noel left in the appendix of two books, I think your grasp of this aspect's interpretation with gain a huge boost!!

Stephen
Stephen
Trinity Astrology

Offline Noel Tyl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »

Right you are, Stephen; thank you.

The question of the YOD arises perpetually everywhere ... because of its magical name.  The naming was a marketing device (see below), and it worked!

The YOD is named from the Tetragrammaton, the secret holy name of God for the Hebrews.  --The astrologer to Louis XIII and XIV, Morin de VilleFranche…aka MORINUS, gave the top-secret Hebrew name to the simple midpoint picture, before astrologers were seeing or working with midpoints easily.

All astrologers back then were self-promotion experts, and  Morinus’  “the Finger of God” certainly captured fears and imaginations well, turning curiosity into business.  --If the midpoint picture had been named "the scissors formation", no one would pay much attention to it.

It is simply a midpoint configuration like any other:  X=Y/Z, and orbs are usually 2.5 degrees for any Midpoint picture.  But back then, without the outer planets, orbs were based upon mystical numerology considerations, sometimes going out to 14 degrees to get things tied together!

The YOD is still an exciting item among intermediate-level astrologers.  I don’t mention it in my Master’s Course.

Noel Tyl
Noel Tyl

Lura

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »
Thank you Stephen and Noel,

With any system of deduction, I am taking a closer look at the meaning of 'ambiguity.'  And, it seems to be a reflection in the Yod (in my mind).  When looking at it as a midpont, I do see further assistance.

Per music as an example, and Noel's recent essay on 'Hearing the Melody,' (which enamored me greatly!), I turn to Tovey and try to see how he finds composing of certain hymns that include this aspect.

In Astrology, how much do you allow for AMBIGUITY?  and with 'ambiguousness?', how do you approach a client with eyes that seem to be clouded at such a 'focused' point in a chart?  What if those eyes can see so much more?

Lura

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
I am greatly regenerated by a glance of a possible chart for Sir Donald Francis Tovey

7/17/1875, Eton UK

Again, I seem to be focused at 29 Aries and just maybe he may be my Grant Lewi!  He was known as the 'Grand Old Man.'

If anyone can interpret any yod activity in his chart, I would be extremely grateful.

why do I now feel like Alice in Wonderland?

thanks

Offline Stacy

Re: The YOD (as a Midpoint picture)
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
Dear Stephen & Noel,

That is something I never considered, actually, and I appreciate the opportunity to "mature" my astrology!

Thank you--

Stacy