Author Topic: Max Ehrmann - Author of Desiderata  (Read 183 times)

Offline Robynne

• Sun-Chiron-Moon-Jupiter Pisces. Still surviving!
Max Ehrmann - Author of Desiderata
« on: October 10, 2019, 04:08:16 AM »
Hello Forum,

A recent discussion has me pondering on the text of Desiderata. I remember reading it when I was 12 and from that point in some ways took it to heart. I guess I adopted the philosophy for life.

I drew up a chart of Max Ehrmann, the author, and saw a similar aspect to my own chart with Mars in Leo inconjunct a probable Pisces Moon. The line 'avoid loud and aggressive persons as they are vexations to the spirit' has been a line that often comes back to haunt me, and I'm wondering if he had a similar trouble with reconciling his bolder active side (Mars cj Jupiter in Leo) with the peacefullness and silence required of a Pisces Moon?

I also noticed that his chart is undergoing a Saturn return right now.

Leaving his chart (without birth time) and poem here for your consideration and any thoughts, or reflections...

https://allpoetry.com/Desiderata---Words-for-Life

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:24:55 AM by Robynne »
Be kind if you can. It never hurts anyone, and just might make someones day!

Offline Antonio

Re: Max Ehrmann - Author of Desiderata
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Leaving his chart (without birth time) and poem here for your consideration and any thoughts, or reflections...

https://allpoetry.com/Desiderata---Words-for-Life

Hi Robynne,

My reflection (on a black mirror) leads me to think that his poem "Dark Days" seems to be more in tune with current times!  ::)

What fool shall say, "My days are fair,
God's in his world and all is well,"
When half mankind shrieks in despair
Worse than in Dante's flaming hell!

I cannot sing in happy mood
While hostile armies take their toll.
On these dark days I toil and brood
With starless midnight in my soul.

And yet, O World, O Life, O God!
I find myself, jest as the fool,
Believing in thy chastening rod,
Believing still that love must rule.

Offline Halina

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »
Hi Robynne,  in his poem Desiderata we get his view of the perfect or ideal life.    Notice Venus opp Neptune his IDEALISM for life.
I have rectified his chart giving him a mid-Gemini Asc with Moon, writer, in his 3rd House and Sun in the 5th of creativity.
Poetry is ruled by Neptune, Venus and the 12th House and this chart gives him Venus opp Neptune, idealism, how to life a peacefule idyllic life.
Venus rules his 12th House of Poetry and joins Neptune.
     A combative lawyer is signified by his Jupiter, law, ruler 7th, opponents conjunct Mars for his court battles.
See his triwheel below at death which corroborates the rectification.    Also shown is his natal rectified chart with aspects.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:55:33 PM by Halina »

Offline Robynne

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
Thanks Antonio,

A perfect response for a Scorpio Ascendant, and yet if you eek out the orb of a Venus - Neptune aspect there may be glimpses of an idealist at heart, as the last line suggests. I guess it depends on which line has the last word.  :)

Thank you yet again Halina,

Just examining those charts now.. Halina, I had him born on the 16 September, there seem to be two dates circulating on the internet but Wikipedia says the 26th so you are right. Glad to see you still have your wits about you.  :) Back to the drawing board for me.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:22:45 AM by Robynne »

Offline Antonio

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
A perfect response for a Scorpio Ascendant

Scorpio ascendant, quickly shifting to sagittarius (as I was once told by pdw)  :D

I guess it depends on which line has the last word.  :)
That was a memorable last line, Robynne!

Cheers!

Offline Stacy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Thanx for the memory, R.
At age 10 I discovered this gem by Max E and have cherished it all these years.
I am banking on strong Scorpio and/or Pi influence in his chart (takes one to know one ;)) !

-Stace
"If a man hasn't found something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  MLK Jr.

Offline Halina

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 05:05:01 AM »
       Max has an overemphasis on the Harmonic multiples of 3,6,9,18,27.   H3 is all about PEACE AND PLEASURE.    His 18th Harmonic is especially strong.
18= 3 X 3 X2.....pleasure and peace strong.    See his 18th Harmonic.....Sun conjunct Venus magnified by an aspect from pleasure-seeking Pluto.
His poem DESIDERATA vibrates to the 3rd Harmonic and its multiples.    18 = 3 X 3 X 2 is his pleasure in making OTHERS, the opposition number 2, HAPPY AND AT PEACE WITH THEMSELVES.   Sun-Venus falls in the 5th House again emphasizing a pleasure/love seeking emphasis.
      When Ehrmann published poem Desiderata, he was in his 55th year.    His AGE HARMONIC CHART for that year clearly shows what he was trying to accomplish with this poem.   Saturn, ruler 3 of writing aspects SUN-VENUS in the 7th....putting OTHERS AT PEACE/PLEASURE THRU' POETRY, represented by NEPTUNE, ruler 5th, love given, aspecting SUN-VENUS.    See this second chart below.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:36:33 AM by Halina »

Offline bjorkstrand

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:23:50 PM »
Max Ehrmann
26 sep 1872
terre haute, indiana, usa
time=?

mercury is in the 10th house
jupiter conjunct mars is in the 9th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Ehrmann
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:28:55 PM by bjorkstrand »

Offline pdw

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 05:49:33 AM »
Hi Robynne and All,

Yes, he casts a remarkably powerful spell of encouragement – so direct, sincere, and loving – with such wise, realistic advice for living. A beautiful, inspiring ‘song’, really… which is another interpretation of the Venus-Neptune opposition, perhaps. 

Adding to the comments, some things I noticed in his chart:

-a wide Earth Grand Trine (Mercury-Saturn-Pluto) - supporting practical observation, wisdom, and persuasion. Potentially making an earthly impact in some way. 

-three final dispositors – Mercury (Virgo)-Venus (Libra)-Saturn – suggesting a helpful, balanced,  decisive viewpoint   

-a Water emphasis – either with a Cancer Moon, a singleton in Water, or with an absence of Water planets – suggesting strong focus on emotional sensitivity, feelings, and collective understanding.

-his socially attuned Libra Sun, ruling the generous and loving Leo Mars-Jupiter, is sextile to Uranus (importantly the only aspect to the Sun) suggesting self-expression linked to humanitarian contribution, perhaps in an outstanding way.

Enjoyed the thread, Robynne, thanks.

Offline Halina

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »
Hi Jim,  his Jupiter-Mars exactly opp MH fits the MHEP Extensiion Process of Tyl for a career in LAW.   His 2 Lunar Returns at death with Uranus exactly on the IC, endings, verify his rectified birth time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:01:12 AM by Halina »

Offline pdw

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 07:08:46 AM »
A perfect response for a Scorpio Ascendant

Scorpio ascendant, quickly shifting to sagittarius (as I was once told by pdw)  :D

Certainly not to be confused with shifty. ;D  More like Scorpio acumen underpinning a great show of Sagittarius spirit for us - funny, wise, and full of good cheer (thanks!).     

Offline Robynne

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »
Thanks for contributing Bjorkstrand, Halina, Antonio, Stacy and pdw,

Enjoyed reading all of your responses and angles.

;D

I remember when I first read Desiderata it just seemed to contain a quiet sense of serenity, with a balanced view of how the world can be, acknowledging the good and bad, ups and downs of life, but still with the affirmative view at the end, as if there was a quiet confidence that no matter how awful things seemed, that love would prevail in the end.

Forty four years later I still hold that belief deep down. Maybe a deluded idealist, but at the end of the day I'm happier that way.

Just my personal 2 cents worth.  :)

I believe my progressed Ascendant is now at 28' 54" Pisces.

« Last Edit: Today at 12:02:49 AM by Robynne »