Author Topic: Can Charts be posted?  (Read 221 times)

Offline Halina

Can Charts be posted?
« on: April 19, 2024, 09:06:16 AM »
      In Tyl days we were able to post charts......can chart be posted like in the old tyl days?

Offline Ken Haining

Re: Can Charts be posted?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 09:57:29 AM »
Hi Halina

Glad to see you back here.

If you mean to post charts on these messages, I am sure that James OD'd will be able to tell you how to do it. 

Ken

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 01:34:38 AM »
I don't know if you can store it to Noel's website space, there might not have been any cleaning up or expansion during the "rebirth." 

I am positive the old way will always work (unless they would change the setting and not allow the image-tag to be used...)

Here's Hitler's 45° dial for the assassination attempt: 

solar arc Saturn = natal Moon = tran Mars/Pluto = ctran Mars, Neptune

http://www.james-alexander.de
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain

Offline Halina

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 07:14:09 AM »
Hi OD,   I tried to load a chart and got this message..."The upload folder is full.  Please
try a smaller file and/or contact administrator.    So I guess the answer is NO, YOU
CANNOT UPLOAD A CHART TO TYL using the old way since the repair guys did not
clean out the folder.   Therefore to post a chart I have to use the URL method which
creates a link that I can copy and paste in Tyl.   Unfortunately these charts are only
up for 30 days at the maximum, then are automatically erased.
      OD I am not sure what method you used to post the Hitler chart.....did you use
the URL method  i.e. Post Images from Pictures File by changing the picture to a URL?:??
      Here's Ken's son Benjamin, in a current biwheel using the Create a URL method.
                           https://ibb.co/X4yszBQ      Click magnifier to enlarge biwheel
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:18:04 AM by Halina »

Offline Ken Haining

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 10:22:38 AM »
Hi Halina

Thanks for the chart of my son and the Jupiter-Uranus Transit.  It does trine his Sun-Mercury and square his Venus-Mars, with Venus being his Natal Ruler.  We will see how this pans out for my son and I during the next 2 days. 

It seems OD'd is able to put up charts on these messages, without having to put them on the site itself.  Is that what you are trying to do?  You are correct, with the links you put up, that the charts are taken down after 30 days, so maybe James OD'd can give instructions for posting those images the way he does it. 

Ken

Offline Antonio

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 11:57:59 AM »
Hi Halina,

You can use this website. Tested and still works:
https://postimages.org/

How can I post images to a forum...?
1. Click the "Choose images" button on the main PostImage page.
2.Select the images you need to upload in the file browser that pops up. Once you click "Open", images will immediately start uploading.
3.After your images have been uploaded, you will see an admin gallery view. Click the drop-down box to the left of the code box and select "Hotlink for forums". If you only uploaded one image, this option will be in plain view instead.
4. Click the Copy button to the right of the code box
5. Open your forum's post editor.
6. Paste the code copied from PostImage into the editor. The forum needs to have BBcode support enabled for this to work.

How long will images remain on the server?
You can upload unlimited images per post and you will never have to worry about your images being removed due to inactivity.

https://postimages.org/faq

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 12:00:13 PM by Antonio »

Offline ODdOnLifeItself

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 10:45:22 PM »
No, it's still the way it was before with the attachment folder already being full.  I am sure they could go back through and kill out graphics older than mm-dd-yyyy, but then of course those graphics would be missing from older posts. 

The other alternative would be more space.  The average image that I post (I would guess) is around 100k in size.  That's 10 images per megabyte of storage.  If we add just an extra 5 gigabytes, it would allow another 50,000 images.  (actually more, because I am sure that my 100k/image is higher than the average graphic size)

For those that have an upload/web space, there are advantages...

...the graphics are always there (as long as one doesn't delete the images from their server or let the web-hosting lapse).

...the graphics can be updated/swapped, without doing anything on Noel's forum, just by changing the graphic (with the same filename) on your own server. 

To me, it doesn't really make any difference if there is more space, as it is just as easy to just copy it to the server and reference it by url

The one thing the forum doesn't support, that would have always been nice, is to be able to just paste images directly into the message.  However, I know the forum software is older and isn't a graphic editor, rather a text editor, so that it isn't possible.  If I'm talking with an astrofriend on Facebook and I want to include an image, I only have to copy it from my computer and hit paste.  On here, the images have to exist somewhere that the forum can reach and that means either its own folder (which is full) or to some web-addressed graphic that it loads from the server each time. 

http://www.james-alexander.de
"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed."  ~ Mark Twain

Offline Ken Haining

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 07:47:44 AM »

Apparently you can put these images up with the method that Antonio uses.  This is a chart of my Jupiter Midpoints.

It's nice when you can just hit "Ctrl V" and paste something on a message, but apparently this message board does not respond to that. 

Ken

Offline Ken Haining

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 11:52:24 AM »
Actually, that chart that I put up is inaccurate.  I was so focused on seeing if I could post an image, that I forgot to check it.  Sometimes that online program does that and I have to re-enter the information to get it to come up right.  The point was, however, that you can use Antonio's method, as he said. 

Ken

Offline Robynne

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 01:17:21 PM »
Testing.

In the storage site Antonio provided the link for, it has the option to remove in a certain amount of days, or to leave permanently.

You might need to check if you have the permanent 'no expiration' option chosen in the drop down menu Halina.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 01:19:55 PM by Robynne »
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline Halina

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 06:40:49 AM »
Excellent Robin,  been using the program for a year and missed putting a tick mark
in the box labelled.....NO EXPIRATION DATE.