Author Topic: The very first English astrologers: Greeks and Saints!  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Ifestion

The very first English astrologers: Greeks and Saints!
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
Well, since this is a season of tales you gonna love this one! It is not a tale actually - although it looks like one - but a true story! It is about the roots of Astrology in England. It describes how 2 Greek-Byzantine abbots (Theodore of Tarsus and Hadrian the "African") established a legendary mini-university in Canterbury, how they impacted the whole Middle Ages English culture and finally how they actually introduced advanced astrology in Anglo-Saxon Britain. You can read the whole story on my blog:

http://science-astrology.blogspot.com/

Thomas Gazis

Offline Lopaka

• Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom
Re: The very first English astrologers: Greeks and Saints!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Thomas:

Thank you for the link to the story, but also for the link to your blog. It's going into my Favorites list.

Aloha
The law, in its infinite wisdom, forbids the rich as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
                    -Anatole France

Offline Ifestion

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »
Thank you Lopaka!

Offline Natália Viana

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:58:22 AM »
 Dear Thomas, :)

I want to say you are making a wonderful contribution to the real astrology. I visited your blog  was very fond of what I saw and read.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Every time You post here I always remember your antique great civilization which has huge interest to me .  I admire actually your ancestry people as I like history and the way they did live and survive although I am currently studying Psychology at the University.

History is so important when we try to  evaluate the facilities in today’s life.

Portuguese Regards,

Natália Viana

" You will never find fulfillment by following the crowd "- Elyzabeth K. Ross

Offline Ifestion

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
Thank you Natalia!

Did you by chance read the article of the "polarizations" (with the Britney's Spear characteristic case?). I think that you will find it interesting, since you are studying psychology. I would indeed appreciate your comments.

Offline crabman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »
Thomas, efhradisto poli!  I would like to know more about Roman astrology.  I have gone back to college after 40 years and am in a program where I create my own Major.  I've created a program called "Roman Empire Studies" that combines courses from history, classics, art and archeology.  So far I have not been able to find anything specifically about Roman astrology.  There is a great deal of information about pagans vs Christians and some information about Roman cults, but either there has been nothing specifically written about Roman astrology or I'm looking in the wrong places.  Have you any ideas that could guide me in my search?
Thanks,
Mick (crabman)

Offline Ifestion

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
Dear Crabman "efharisto poly" (thank you very much - in Greek) too! There is so much stuff on Roman Astrology (which was actually Hellenistic and the major Roman Astrologers were Greeks). There are tens of books and if you will google something like "astrology in ancient Rome" you will get tens of articles.

Offline crabman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »
Fabulous!  This is a big help.  Ime efynomon.  (I'm illiterate in Greek.  I just spell it the way it sounds to me.)

Offline Ifestion

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »
"Ime efynomon" = I am grateful. You wrote it fine dear crabman. Good luck with your work and if you come up with anything interesting and you would like to share it with us you are welcome. 

Offline Jozef

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Very interesting article Ifestion. Good read.

Offline Ifestion

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »
Thank you Jozef!

Thomas Gazis