Author Topic: Obama sworn in as President of the Unites States a second time !  (Read 4159 times)

rj_smith

Dear Folks:

In my 30 plus years of studying/practicing astrology, I have never seen (or heard) of anything like it !

A news story and picture just appeared on the internet from ABC News, this evening, in which President Barack Obama is sworn in for the SECOND time, in front of the same Chief Justice Roberts, due to the fact that Obama forgot to recite, (they claim) ONE word of his oath of office !

Wow, I suppose that astrologers are now going to have a BALL over THIS major gaffaw ! The question of which swearing in ceremony chart is MORE valid; the one for 12:06 pm, yesterday (January 20th, 2009) or tonight's swearing-in, (January 21st, 2009, 7:35 PM, EST, Washington, DC, USA) must now be debated and discussed !

Basically, I will let astrologers debate the issue themselves, while I will thankfully "side step" it, (like a "good little Canadian" often does, especially for those Canadians who think Libra is rising in our national chart !) LOL

Just for the heck of it, I have drawn an election chart for the SECOND INUAUGURATION of President B. Obama.

Noel, you have been around a lot longer than me in this "business: and you have seen at least all the U.S. Presidents since JFK come and go? What do you make of this latest political snafu - I mean, Mercury is retrograde, and the Moon was void of course, yesterday, so we all know WHY it happened, but do you think the first swearing-in ceremony still actually "counts ?"

Meanwhile, a chart drawn up for the second swearing-in ceremony reveals a VERY different configuration than yesterday's chart.

Zero Degrees Virgo 26 minutes is rising in my Solar Fire 6.0, according to the published time of 7:35 pm 

The Sabian Symbol for Zero Virgo is very revealing: 

"In a portrait the best of a man's traits are idealized."

You have to figure that Barack Obama is likely the most idealized politician we have had in almost an ENTIRE generation, and likely, in the WHOLE world ?

I mean, what politician could we possibly compare him to, in terms of media idealization, except perhaps for Nelson Mandela ? 

Meanwhile, Zero Virgo rising and Sun in Aquarius exactly on the 6th House cusp describes the new president and his motivations aptly, i.e. a modest, hard-working man who is here to clean up the mistakes left by the previous occupant (Virgo is a sign concerned with cleaning and cleanliness ?) and to bring a sense of humanity and modesty to the stereotypical American image ? (Virgo is a "human sign," symbolized by a human figure ie  a Virgin maiden)

Mercury, the chart ruler, is retrograde and in Capricorn, in the 5th house. Mercury is making a trine (120 aspect) to Saturn in Virgo, so in effect, the two planets are in mutual reception ?

Saturn rising, albeit retrograde, in the 1st house suggests that Obama has taken on an overwhelming burden and sometimes, his new administration will appearing to be struggling under the pressure and the responsibilities appear daunting, at times.

With Saturn further hooked up in a t-square between the Moon in Sagittarius and Venus conjunct Uranus, I think that the U.S. economy is going to get a hell of a lot worse than it's going to get better. But, at least the President warned us that that would be the case, did he not ?

The good news is Obama, will prove to be a very cagey, perservering, and cautious leader with a built-in "common sense" and directional "radar" that frankly, George W. Bush, lacked? (Mercury, in an earth sign, in mutual reception with Saturn, also in an earth sign?).  So, the bottom line is that since the country is already rock bottom, there is really no way for things to get worse under Obama, since the "Titanic" is already at the bottom of the ocean floor ? LOL

The Mercury-Saturn, making a trine, suggests that issues (such as the economy), will improve and get better under an Obama Administration. 

As I predicted in my composite chart analysis of Obama a few weeks ago, the threat of violence looms large these days against any U.S. President, in particular a "black man" who happens to be President. The good news is that the Mercury Saturn trine make him hard to "hit" and also, hard "to get rid of ?"

Translation: he will most DEFINITELY finish his term of office and any threat on his life, either now or in the future, will be turned aside? 

This new administration will likely focus on national employment, jobs, health, care the local economy (Sun in the 6th house, conjunct Jupiter) and also, vastly improving the overall image of the United States, abroad, as a more fore-boding, humble people (Virgo rising, Sun in 6th house, Moon in 4th house).

The "bad news" will be a HUGE increase in the national debt (Moon square Venus conjunct Uranus opposite Saturn), and also, a possibility of a scandal-plagued administration and thus, a major cabinet shuffle. I think that Obama may also get let down by some of his closest advisors and first ministers, including Hillary Clinton, the newly appointed Secy of State?  (Unfortunately, I don't see those two always seeing "eye to eye" on major issues and their composite chart seems to bear that out ?

Finally, the Mercury-Saturn MR also promotes longevity and staying power, so don't be surprised if Obama is asked to serve a second term in office, by the American people ? But, with Mercury ansd Saturn retrograde, it will be a MUCH different team that what he started with.

Also, don't forget that people with Saturn in the first house start out as "meek" "humble" and so on, but they get more ambitious (and demanding?) as time goes on, so watch for an ambitious (and even controversial) shift in thinking in this administration down the road. 

regards,

RJ Smith

encl.: 2nd event chart of Obama's swearing-in ceremony.

here is the link to ABC news:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/obama-took-oath.html 

Offline Grenadine

Re: Obama sworn in as President of the Unites States a second time !
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
Obama became president yesterday at noon. He was announced as president and he began working officially as president yesterday at noon. The second oath is only administrative, it should not be regarded as a new beginning or the birth of his presidency, In my opinion.

"Craig, the White House lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday evening: "We believe the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. Yet the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of the abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the oath a second time."

The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:14:43 PM by Grenadine »

Offline Crystal Blue Persuasion

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
I think I trust Mercury in Capricorn a little more than Mercury in Aquarius.  I like a presidency where it will be important to "hear the grass grow."

rj_smith

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »
Hi Zarathu:

Thank you for the information.

I would agree that this type of oath of allegiance chart is read much like a Horary chart.

Having said that, I wonder whether some legal experts (and I am not a lawyer or expert in U.S. constitutional law) might argue that the actual start of the term of office of the new U.S. President is NOT an automatic one, but conditional to the reading, in full, of the entire oath of allegiance by the president-elect.

So, maybe that's why the White house lawyer got Obama to recite the whole oath, again.  Or, did the Judge order that the oath be re-done by Obama.  Of course, we don't know that, as the ABC (btw, the American Broadcasting Company, not Australian Broadcasting Corp.) news article doesn't say!)

Meanwhile, in terms of when Obama first carried out his official executive duties, this observation: it is a fact that President-elect Obama has made a number of  important "executive" decisions before he even got sworn in as President !  For example, back in November, he was asked to organize a bill to help bail out the "big three" automakers and then, he met with President Bush, several times on the matter.

He then co-hosted an official "dinner" with all the previous living U.S. presidents including the previous White House occupant ! How many previous President-elects have done that; none as I recall !

Then, still as president-elect, he commented publicly to the media in December on the vicious Isreali-Gaza war and then expressed "his grave concern about the killing of innocent Palestinian and Isreali civilians."

Barack's rare announcement was said to startle the Isreali government and, loe and behold, a few weeks later, the Isreali's announced a full pull-out of all of their grounds troops from the Gaza, conveniently just in time for Obama's inauguration, yesterday !

Of course, President Bush could have adminished publicly Obama for those comments, but with his popularity the worst of any U.S. President in modern history, Bush wouldn't dare make any noise to his much more popular rival.

Thus, given all of the above events, I wonder, is the "official chart" for the swearing-in ceremony of Tuesday the 20th, (or today's chart) even valid or relevant for Barack Obama, as it seems that Obama has been "working" as your president, (unofficially), since November of last year ? 

According to the late Horary astrologer Barbara Watters, (who was based in Washington and had Congressman and Senators as among her clients) the official Horary starting time for a new job is "when the person walks through the front doors of the place of employment for the first time."

So, I wonder, could a case could be made for Obama's start of the Presidency back in November, when he first met George W. Bush at the Oval office ?

regards,

R.J. Smith

Offline saturn

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Having said that, I wonder whether some legal experts (and I am not a lawyer or expert in U.S. constitutional law) might argue that the actual start of the term of office of the new U.S. President is NOT an automatic one, but conditional to the reading, in full, of the entire oath of allegiance by the president-elect.

I read that the Constitution says the new President becomes President at noon on 20 Jan, regardless of oaths or anything else. He didn't even have to take the oath to be President. So, if that is true, then all these other times are pointless.

rj_smith

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Hi Zarathu:

Your explanation re: the lame-duck period is interesting, thank you. However, anyone who still doubts the Virgo rising chart of January 21st, 7:35 pm can refer to Lopaka's legal argument (in Crabman's post)  about the assumption of power for a U.S. President-elect NOT being an "AUTOMATIC right" !

-RJ Smith