Author Topic: Australians, need help  (Read 2676 times)

Offline pdw

Australians, need help
« on: February 26, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Hello Australian Forumites & any others in the know,

Can you please tell me if the term Australian Aboriginees is considered offensive?  That's the term I planned to use in a project but after looking around I understand it may no longer be in vogue.  If so, what term is acceptable?

To outfit my query with a few degrees of astrology I'll say that Sirius, a fixed star at Cancer 14, was an Eagle in their eyes.  :) 

TIA

~pdw

Offline Jill Amery

Re: Australians, need help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »
Hello pdw - the term nowadays is usually "indigenous Australian" and then it is understood that the reference is to the Australian Aborigine.

Good luck with your project!

Jill

Offline sunflower

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »
pdw,Jill,

Perhaps ' Indigenous Australians' could be more politically correct as Jill says?

sunflower   :)
sunflower

Offline pdw

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:11:05 AM »
Jill and sunflower, thanks for steering me in the right direction.  Having Australian sources is much appreciated as well as your good luck included, Jill.  I don't mind working with that one bit.  :)     

Offline pdw

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Ray! 

I appreciate your explanation and suggestion here.  I'm taking your reply to my almost year-old question as something of a good omen because resuming and finishing the project mentioned then has been strongly on my mind recently.  Thanks for the response.