Author Topic: My problem with Solar Arcs  (Read 5297 times)

Offline adol33

My problem with Solar Arcs
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi all,

I've just updated my software by including Solar Arcs and have spent the last few hours testing them against people's lives. They hold up remarkably well but the first thing that struck me seems to be a problem with approximately age 60 in particular. Everyone gets all the planets sextiling themselves, I know it's obvious but had never thought of the implications in much detail. This has to be an anomaly with solar arcs, surely not everybody suddenly has two wonderful years around age 60 with ten (or many more minor) solar arcs. Any ideas on this? Oh, these and the planet and moon progressions are free features of the program if you want to play around with them (Google lucky days, install and check out the Help on how to run the solar arcs). Btw, my biggest wins to date were when my SA MC and Asc hit prominent aspects e.g. trine Venus). I rate Solar Arcs as 40/60 importance to progressions, forward and converse, how important do you rate them?

Offline Carol 13492

Re: My problem with Solar Arcs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:13 AM »
Hi Adol

For the sake of brevity I'll oversimplify: Noel states in one of his books that people born in the summer months have a slower moving sun and thus the SA sun travels 30 degrees in about 31, not 30 years. So age 62 would mean that's when your sextiles would be in effect.

Carol   ---And remember: the Sun's apparent or symbolic motion is the same for people all over the world in any given time period.  It is best to avoid the seasonal emphasis "summer birth" etc.  (the seasons are different in opposing hemispheres): a slow arc accumulates to all on earth born between March and September.  An "even" arc, for those born September to March.   --NT
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:20:16 AM by Noel Tyl »

Offline Kathy Rose

• Rose Astrology
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:41 AM »
I find that using both solar arcs and transits together is enormously important! When I was a young astrologer I didn't use solar arcs. Once I added them to my analysis, I found a much bigger picture was revealed.

I only use secondary progressions for the Moon. I also keep a close eye on the tertiary Moon when it hits an angle.

Keep an eye on when the SA semi-square happens at 45 (or around 46 for people born March - September). And - as you've mentioned - the SA sextile period at 60 (or 62 for those born March - September) is worth noting. One thing -- just because it's a sextile it doesn't absolutely promise wonderful years. This period offers a strong flow of creative, harmonious energy -- and isn't it interesting that this is when many people are starting to consider their retirement plans. We go into a different mindset in our 60's - and the SA sextile period opens the door.

When you trace the important solar arcs in your history - I would suggest you only look at the conjunctions, squares and oppositions as the most powerful.... AND also look at the transits going on at that time. You can't separate them if you want the whole picture.

Bottom line on solar arcs for me.... I rate them as very important.

Cheers,
Kathy
Kathy Rose Astrology

http://roseastrology.com/

Offline Francine

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
Kathy, i apologize for this basic question, but do you find transits to the Solar Arc planets as important as to the natal planets? What if a transit squares a Solar Arc planet but trines a natal planet?

Offline Kathy Rose

• Rose Astrology
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Francine,
I would not recommend looking at transits to solar arc planets.

Consider keeping it as clean and simple as possible - all the relevant information will show up. The problem many astrologers run into is using too many measurements - then not being able to make sense out of the information.

Let the big bells ring loud and clear.

Kathy
Kathy Rose Astrology

http://roseastrology.com/

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
Hi Adol33:

Excellent observation.  Does it mean something?  Of course it does.  Right around that same time at age 60 or so, we also experience our second Saturn return.  At that time we are more or less absolved of judgement from others and freed from many of the problems that younger people face.  We might still be anxious people, or rabble-rousers, or whatever we've always been, but we suddenly can let go of a lot of responsibilities (Saturn) that are linked to social obligations. For instance, any children we had are now on their own.  If we did a good job, maybe we'll get grandchildren that we can enjoy.  It's the same with other projects we've worked hard to create.
 The first Saturn go-round is focused on the physical, the second on the psychological (or, really, the political tricks we learn in order to maintain our position with other people), but the third Saturn return is really between ourselves and God.  Society says we are done.  Many of us continue to contribute and compete after age 60, but in general, it is a gratis contribution.  We become exempt in so many ways. 
Funny that Kathy says it doesn't mean it is all wonderful.  I just bought a birthday card for someone that said on the front:  "Welcome to the wonder years"!  ...and on the inside:
I wonder where I put my glasses?
I wonder where I parked my car?
I wonder if I paid that bill?
I wonder why I said that?
I wonder if I locked the door?
I wonder what that policeman wants?
I wonder why I bought bok choy?
I wonder why everything hurts?
etc., etc., etc.

Barbara Ybarra

Offline pdw

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »
Hi adol33, good observation.  How we are all the same and how we are each different is at the heart of Astrology, imho.  I think Astrology measurements offer opportunity to use life norms and probability as a starting point to explore our individual variation. 

Regarding solar arcs, I'd say that an arc will not be the same for all because an individual's life experience prior to an arc is a significant factor in how he/she will express and reflect it.           

For more on measurements that we have in common with each other, astrologer Alexander Ruperti wrote an excellent book about the ages that we all experience certain transits - Cycles of Becoming.       

Offline adol33

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
Thank you all for your comments and help! I really appreciate it, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this lately especially regarding how many emphasize the use of conjunctions, squares and oppositions only. Thank you for being so kind and non-judgemental, I get terrified when I talk to experienced astrologers as I know I still have tons to learn.

Offline Jay

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
I remember Reinhold Ebertin stating in one of his books that transits by themselves don't have predictive value unless they are supported by directions.

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
I've found that the Solar Arc Analysis Directory in several of Noel's books can be made to sing and dance when rulerships are introduced to the mix.  I recently rectified a friend's chart so that his Sun would arc to the MC when he was ordained to a religious order.  Fittingly, the Sun ruled his 9th house.  However, when I had that same arc, my wife died, which reflects the Sun's co-rulership of my 8th house.

Don Borkowski 
True astrology is that which can be taught to other people who can then replicate the teachers' conclusions through their own effort.  --Don Borkowski in July 1983 issue of MERCURY HOUR

amymaddalozzo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
Don   Do you think that the place a person is in his life has a lot to do with interpreting solar arcs?  A person who is 65 or 70 would probably get a different result that if he/she were 25.  AMY

Offline Don Borkowski

• Stultus ego odi.
    • Astrology by Donbee
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
Amy--
Absolutely!!!  Whether you are using solar arcs, progressions, transits, or any type of return charts to make forecasts, all astrology is situational.  When I first signed up for Noel's Master's class, he admonished me to always fit the astrology to the client.  But I had been doing that since my earliest days in 1971.  I should acknowledge Sophia Mason here.  In her book on progressions, she said that a progression of Venus to Saturn might be reflected in zits (acne) in a teenager, but an arthritis attack in a mature person.

Don Borkowski   
True astrology is that which can be taught to other people who can then replicate the teachers' conclusions through their own effort.  --Don Borkowski in July 1983 issue of MERCURY HOUR