Author Topic: New Book Recommended by Noel  (Read 995 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
New Book Recommended by Noel
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
Dear Readers - Noel asked that the following message be posted to his Discussion Forum -

Please post this on TYLNET and on my web site. Thank you. Noel

---------- Original Message ----------
To: Noel Tyl <noeltyl@cox.net>
Date: January 9, 2019 at 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Your new astrology book that interests me .....

Hi Noel,

I hope you had an enjoyable holiday season, and your new year is going well so far.

Attached is the review by Mary Plumb just published in The Mountain Astrology, along with a jpg of my book cover, for reposting on your site.

Thanks, Joe

(Note to Tyl Discussion Forum readers:  the photo of the book's cover could not be attached, but here is the review, copied and pasted:)

___________________________________________________________________________________

"Astrology and the Archetypal Power of Numbers, Part Two: Arithmology in the Birthchart (The Astropoetic Series, Volume Two) by Joe Landwehr, Ancient Tower Press, 38 Starshine Ridge, Whittier, NC 28789, 2018. Softcover— 652 pp.—$39.95 + shipping (ISBN 978-0-9747626-3-0). Available from: www.ancient-tower-press.com

Joe Landwehr adds to the age-old discussion of “astrology’s role as a language of soul” in his latest book, Astrology and the Archetypal Power of Numbers, Part Two. Seven years in the making, this book is founded on Pythagorean number theory (known as arithmology), as recorded by Neoplatonist teacher Iamblichus of Chalcis in The Theology of Arithmetic. Landwehr’s source for Iamblichus is Robin Waterfield’s English translation (1988); the current author’s many innovations add to that traditional text.

The book is a copious examination of how numbers underlie the construction and meaning of the birth chart. To this end, the author first describes “the various ways in which arithmological principles are generally encoded in the birthchart” and then offers many demonstrations of how the “spiritual psychology of the number in question” is expressed in individual lives and historical events. Referencing many birth charts and attendant life stories, Landwehr writes about the individual souls as well as the collective memories that influence the movement of history and specific world events. These examples are gratifying to read, since he tells these life stories with many quotations from biographical and autobiographical sources, and he places these world events into substantive historical context.

The book’s introductory material provides delineations of the archetypal principles of The Number Realms, from Zero to Ten. (Although zero is not considered by the Pythagoreans, Landwehr includes the Realm of Zero, drawn from the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice — where “we encounter the Abyss, the dark night of the soul.”) Landwehr engages his readers with mythological, psychological, spiritual, and imaginal references from his prolific studies, to capture the “protean and multidimensional” applications of the individual Number Realms which, to simplify, can be understood as distinct dimensions of soul experiences, or soul pathways.

Happily, Landwehr is a good writer, because this is a very complex book. For example, his focus includes observations on “the arithmological associations made between numbers and various deities, many of whom have astrological correlations with a planet or asteroid; orbital dynamics through which the duration of planetary cycles factor into numbers; and orbital arithmology, by which simple arithmetic operations between sidereal and synodic periods yield numerical ratios.” As familiar as the author is with such mathematical intricacy, his deepest purpose is “to approach the possibility of using this precious ‘one life’ to participate more consciously and creatively in the life of the anima mundi, and to make a larger contribution to the greater good.”

The Appendices include 18 pages of Works Cited, a 40-page Index, and, helpfully, a succinct Number Realm Analysis, which is a guide for applying this approach to any horoscope. One caveat — and a slight distraction in an otherwise well-designed book — is that the charts are not very clearly reproduced; however, since this is not a beginner’s book, readers will be familiar with horoscopes and thus should have no problem reading the glyphs. The Introduction to the book (which includes The Number Realms) is on the author’s website; curious readers might want to take a peek at Joe Landwehr’s unique application of the astrological worldview." - Mary Plumb

____________________________________________________________________________________

Joe Landwehr
The Astropoetic School of Soul-Discovery
Where Your Life is the Classroom
www.astropoetics.com
www.facebook.com/Astropoetics

Ancient Tower Press
Celebrating the Sacred Mystery
www.ancient-tower-press.com

Connect with me on Facebook, Linked In, and Twitter

Offline Hudson Valley Astrologer

• "First Seek to Understand" Sun-Moon (Pisces-Aries)
    • The Hudson Valley Astrologer
Re: New Book Recommended by Noel
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
Sounds fascinating...

Had just been reading about Pythagoras... he was a rock star in his day...

Looking forward to learning more about your work Joe.

Thanks for sharing.

HVA

Offline Mary Beth

Re: New Book Recommended by Noel
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:06:14 AM »
I read about this book on "Blue Light Lady" and was intrigued.  I went to Joe's website and read up on his perspective and books, then read the introduction to the new one and was even more intrigued!  Interestingly, I found his first book on Amazon for $1200!  That prompted me to email Joe to let him know about it.  He responded to me and we had a delightful conversation via email.  I told him that I'm a student of Noel's and he responded that he holds Noel in high regard.  I had already purchased his books (all of them) on his website, wishing to understand the development of his astrological perspective.  I have them now and will be digging in soon, as just now I am preparing for the Grand Seminar early February by viewing Noel's Masterwork DVDs and studying his work.  What a blessing Noel and my fellow students have been!
Thanks, all!