Author Topic: Astrocalc software is now FREE  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Graham

Astrocalc software is now FREE
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »

Offline bjorkstrand

Re: Astrocalc software is now FREE
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
i got an error message that it might ruin my computer. what's up with that?

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
i got an error message that it might ruin my computer. what's up with that?

Hi Jim. ... If you aim to use the software, it makes sense to join the astrocalc support forum - as that provides direct contact with Joakim (the owner), who has the technical skills required to answer "what's up" questions.

In the meantime, Joakim has given the following response to "why do I get a message warning that installing may damage my computer?" :-

"Hi, can you provide a screen shot? Without something visual, it's like grasping in the dark, but I can see at least 2 possibilities.

The windows system show the message, which it usually does if the file isn't digitally signed. Both Astrocalc Setup and the Astrocalc executable are signed with my personal digital certificate from COMODO, so this shouldn't happen. However, there can be local conditions of the system causing Windows not being able to read or understand the encryption algorithm. In this case the dialog (on Windows 10) usually is yellow and say the publisher is unknown.If the dialog is blue, the it has identified the publisher and concluded the certificate is valid, but Windows may use this, in my view, offensive language of a warning anyway, that if the publisher is unknown to you the file could be dangerous.
Another source may be your anti-virus/security program that puke a warning because it don't understand and cannot read what's behind the encryption - which exactly is the point with an encrypted certificate.
But any way, I need more info to give a definitive answer."

Unfortunately, I cannot provide him with the required screenshot (or further information) because I have the full Astrocalc 6.3 suite of programs installed on my computer ... and Joakim has warned that installing the 6.5 will cause problems for the other programs in that suite, so I cannot yet use/instal the free program myself.

However, my recollection is that the former owner of Astrocalc used to warn users that this "potential damage" message might appear when installing the program (and stated that it should be ignored). Moreover, despite having seen (and ignored) that message when installing Astrocalc (on several replacement computers) over the years, I can confirm that it has never caused a problem for me.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:14:28 PM by Graham »

Offline Robynne

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:46 AM »
Thankyou very much Graham. It was a quick and easy download, when receiving the warning message just click 'run anyway'. Am very keen to give it a whirl. Ta.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:52:07 AM »
The UT time is now 08:55am on 11th December 2019 ...

and the good news is that my wife has allowed me to instal Astrocalc 6.5 on her Windows 10 computer.

The "potential damage" warning did appear ... but it is only the blue screen "offensive language" warning referred to by Joakim ... so can be safely ignored. ... (I can now confirm that installation has indeed caused no damage to my wife's computer - and that my wife will, therefore, be inflicting no damage to me.)

Moreover, I have been using Astrocalc's top-of-the-range 6.3 "professional" program for some years now ... and this free 6.5 download appears to have all of the functionality in that 6.3 program (which cost me an arm-and-a-leg at the time of purchase.
"*@&£$%!"   )

So ... fill your boots asap, everyone ... I think you are going to love this Christmas present from Joakim/Astrocalc ... and the more you play with it, the more you'll realise that (sometimes) one does get something of value for nothing.

Offline pdw

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 04:53:11 AM »
Hello Graham and All,

Astrocalc software sounds very similar to the free services (already) offered at astro.com, a very reliable and reputable source for chart calculations. Does anyone know specific advantages astrocalc might offer over astro.com?

Offline Graham

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:34:16 AM »
Hello Graham and All,

Astrocalc software sounds very similar to the free services (already) offered at astro.com, a very reliable and reputable source for chart calculations. Does anyone know specific advantages astrocalc might offer over astro.com?

Astro.com for accuracy (particularly time zone and daylight savings). ... Astrocalc for tri-charts : Natal Chart interpretations : Harmonic contacts ... a chart-of-the-moment that can be stepped through in user-specified intervals ... d-f-y progressed charts that can be stepped through (forward and back) in annual increments ... User-defined aspect orbs ... Correct relationship of harmonic aspect orbs ... and more. Essentially though, Astrocalc 6.5 provides a flexibility and ease-of-use that Astro.com does not yet have (and it is on-the-home-computer rather than accessed via the internet).

Hence, I recommend downloading and playing with Astrocalc 6.5 - then decide if it has nothing to offer that is not already available at Astrodienst. (I use both ... but Astrodienst is the one I trust if/when the time zone/daylight savings/Moon-degree calculations differ, whilst  Astrocalc is the one I use most to explore and analyse charts).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:50:57 PM by Graham »

Offline Graham

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »
Does anyone know specific advantages astrocalc might offer over astro.com?

As an example ... the above extract from Astrocalc 6.5 shows my natal chart harmonic contacts for H48 to H64 ... in an easily readable table, which cannot be obtained via Astro.com.

And ... as someone with a particular interest in the use of harmonics in astrology ... that table highlights H57 as being a significant harmonic influence for me ... because we can easily now see that Sun, Moon, Mercury, Saturn and Pluto are connected (in the natal chart) via that aspect.

It takes just a minute or so to discover that via Astrocalc 6.5 .... and (for those who have the stamina/determination) considerably longer to do so via Astro.com
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:38:43 PM by Graham »

Offline pdw

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:21 AM »
Thanks, Graham, I appreciate your reply and the example.

Offline saturn

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »
I downloaded the software and installed it in its default folder, which really should be modifiable/selectable by the user. I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1. I started the programs, clicked on "New" to enter a birth date, and the program bombs when I try to enter a country or a latitude.

Other operations are now also bombing the program.

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 03:21:49 AM »
I downloaded the software and installed it in its default folder, which really should be modifiable/selectable by the user. I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1. I started the programs, clicked on "New" to enter a birth date, and the program bombs when I try to enter a country or a latitude.

Other operations are now also bombing the program.
Hi saturn ... Hopefully, you will give this feedback directly to Joakim (via the Astrocalc forum) ... but, in the meantime, I have placed the following "heads up" message there :-

For your information, Joakim ... on the Noel Tyl astrology forum, a member has installed 6.5 and reported that :-

"I downloaded the software and installed it in its default folder, which really should be modifiable/selectable by the user. I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1. I started the programs, clicked on "New" to enter a birth date, and the program bombs when I try to enter a country or a latitude.

Other operations are now also bombing the program."

Hopefully, the member will report the problem to you here in due course - since I can say only that no problems are currently being encountered by me, with the 6.5 program running on my wife's Windows 10 Lenovo computer.

Offline Graham

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 03:50:28 AM »

Thanks, Graham, I appreciate your reply and the example.
Thanks, pdw.

As it happens, I have just been using the animation-feature of Astrocalc's "NOW" Chart ... which Astrodienst's "Chart of the Moment" does not have. ... it enabled me to see that my natal MC moved over natal Moon on the day when "mother and baby" were allowed (by the UK hospital) to return home - and the related "Progressed MC conjunct natal Moon" happened in my first year at Primary School ... for which the connection/event appears to have been "meeting new people and future-familiars/friends for the first time". 

Offline Robynne

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »
Have not had time to have a play with the software until now.

Am running Windows 10 with all current updates on a Desktop computer.

Drawing up an initial chart seems fine until I try to enter the coordinates for latitude. The screen then immediately disappears. Will investigate further.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

Offline Graham

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 05:32:55 AM »
Have not had time to have a play with the software until now.

Am running Windows 10 with all current updates on a Desktop computer.

Drawing up an initial chart seems fine until I try to enter the coordinates for latitude. The screen then immediately disappears. Will investigate further.

See https://www.astrocalc.com/forum/topic/heads-up-re-program-crashing/#postid-44 ... especially the last reply there, from Joakim/Astrocalc

In the meantime, I am still having no problems with using 6.5 ... but perhaps that is because (as a prior/long-term owner of 6.3) I use the data entry screen in the way stated (in the above link) to be "the intended way" - i.e.. I do not manually enter the lattitude and longitude.

[When exploring the program, Robynne ... do look at your "Harmonic Contacts" (in batches of 16, rather than 4) - as that can be quite revealing. ... And have a play with the animated NOW and WHEEL feature (which allows the step to be from 4 seconds to one day/86400 seconds]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:13:57 AM by Graham »

Offline Graham

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 06:27:31 AM »
Hello Graham and All,

A list of Astrocalc 6.5 features can now be found at https://www.astrocalc.com/astrocalc-6-5-features/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:03:12 AM by Graham »